Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christmas games

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I was about nine or ten years old when that happened. At the time, I thought it was a great scheme and still don't know how mom found out (and she won't say to this day).

Of course, schemes around Christmas have always been a tradition in my family (parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc), with everyone, for example, going to great lengths discover what each has purchased the other. Many obviously do that, but my family has taken it to extremes at times. My uncle, for instance, once (many years ago) paid an x-ray technician at a local hospital to examine his wrapped presents so he could sit under the tree on Christmas morning and act like he was mystic while naming each gift before opening it.

stewart
My sister in law is getting even for a trick we played on her and her other sister last Christmas. The two sisters in law had been here for two weeks during the first half of July, 2006, and I took a lot of photos (who me?). I made a book up using Blurb.com, and sent it as a Christmas gift. My wife caught me looking at them when they arrived, so she found out. It was supposed to be a surprise for her, too.

She joined in the fun. She phoned each of her sisters and told them that they could not open the packages until Christmas day, and that "I had nothing to do with it. It's all his. He did it all by himself. Don't blame me!" They were well received.

This year we were out in Quebec, and just before we left at the end of the first week of September, Monique gave me a taped shut cardboard box (big enough for all my digital gear, too, but not heavy enough). I am under strict orders not to open it, and the only hint I am to have is three letters: "BBT". Please note when attempting to help me figure this out, that Francais is the language. I have sent postcards "Belle Boite de Tissus", "Beaux BoBettes", and so forth, but don't seem to have hit it yet.

12-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
(snip) the only hint I am to have is three letters: "BBT". Please note when attempting to help me figure this out, that Francais is the language. (snip)

Or at least you're assuming that. Have you considered the possibility that "BBT" is the initials for a product without a French name, or that your sister-in-law, as part of her revenge, intentionally switched languages just to throw you off the trail? Is it reasonable to assume you're planning your revenge for next year while stewing over all this?

stewart
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Or at least you're assuming that. Have you considered the possibility that "BBT" is the initials for a product without a French name, or that your sister-in-law, as part of her revenge, intentionally switched languages just to throw you off the trail? Is it reasonable to assume you're planning your revenge for next year while stewing over all this?

stewart
There is a not insignificant probability that the BBT is Swahili. Or Inuit. Or nothing at all except in her evil mind.

What, me get even next year? Her birthday is sooner than next Christmas ....
12-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I solved the mystery for you. BBT = Branch Banking & Trust (a US bank). You're getting a box full of $$$$$. Now you can satisfy all of your LBA.

12-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #20

I have the same problem, the only differnce is that my 16-45 now flies from Australia to Europe. It is easier to live without going to toilet than waiting for new toy.
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I solved the mystery for you. BBT = Branch Banking & Trust (a US bank). You're getting a box full of $$$$$. Now you can satisfy all of your LBA.
Knowing how much $$$$$ my sister in law has, this, although a super idea! is probably not correct. Darn it.
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Same situation with my new k100d and 4 lenses - "Christmas present!?!?"

After one day my wife relented when she saw me getting the shakes and compulsively reading camera blogs (think: camera blogs are to actual cameras as methadone is to heroin.)

I wasn't going to be able to function until Christmas, so I got to open it early.

Mitigating factor for me, though: new baby, 11 weeks. Every day counts and is significant with him as far as pictures go - they grow so fast.

Good luck. Hang in there.

12-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Mitigating factor for me, though: new baby, 11 weeks. Every day counts and is significant with him as far as pictures go - they grow so fast.

Good luck. Hang in there.
Now that is pre-planning. Imagine getting your wife pregnant at just the right time that the baby is super photogenic at just the right time to get to open your Christmas presents a couple of weeks early. I'm impressed.
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

Revenge

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
A few weeks ago, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. So I told her I wanted a Pentax 16-45mm DA. Well a box arrived in the mail today, it was from thecamerabox.com. I asked my wife, "What's came in the mail?" Her reply, "Your Christmas present. And you can't have it until Dec. 25th!" I know the 16-45 DA is in that box. But I have to wait. I'm so frustrated!!
I'm in exactly the same situation. Just the lens is different. I'm getting Sigma 10-20
Oh, Lord, I've been waiting ages for this one....

But you know what, my approach is revenge. I bought Sigma 105 f2.8 macro for my fiance, and she knows about it all too well. And she's not having it until X-mas either So both boxes are sitting nicely udner the sofa and waiting for 24th. (we are getting/giving presents on Christmas eve not day) So I'll have my sooner than you anway