Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4 hours to shoot in DC - where to go?

I will be in Arlington VA on business next Tuesday (10/25) and just learned I'll have to kill time from about 1pm till 4pm. So this means I'll bring my K5 and 18-135 DA....................it's supposed to be sunny and 66 deg..................

I might go to Arlington National Cemetary, but am open to other places that might be good for shooting.............the Mall of DC is just across the river also.....................prolly all the leaves are gone by now...............

Any ideas?

Dave

10-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Arlington changing of the guards is worthwhile, plus the major gravesites.

I enjoyed the Roosevelt monument, which never even makes it on the list with the Big Three.

The Vietnam wall was OK but somewhat underwhelming in itself.
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would agree with Special K on the Arlington suggestions. The mall offers many possibilities too, doesn't sound like you will be visiting any museums but if you did, the Air and Space museum is great for photography. I lived outside of DC for 8 years in the 1980's, my recollection is that it's likely that with that limited amount of time pick one or the other as while the are close (Arlington and the mall) they are big. In my mind's eye, if you've never been there, the view from the mall of the Washington monument, congress, or even the south lawn of the White House can be nice we were there shots.
10-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
4 hours to shoot in DC - where to go?
GDRoth, you said 1 to 4, that's 3 hours

Anyways, 3 hours and your already in Arlington, that gives you Arlington and maybe a couple places along/near the tidal basin - 3 hours is near no time to do anything especially at the time of day during a Tuesday around in that area. What street/road is your business meeting off of and I can pass along a couple of suggestions...

---

10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been there a few times as a tourist..............I shot a few hundred pics at Arlington National Cemetary (ANC) with an old Panasonic LUMIX P&S. this was before I got serious about photography and the shots were in JPG with poor WB...........so maybe I need to go back and re-shoot............the view from the highest point of ANC (the Robert E Lee home) is spectactular....

As I was typing this I remembered that I have those pics on this laptop..............I'm attaching one of my favs from that day............it was early morning and a little drizzle was coming down....

I think I can do better now
Attached Images

10-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
GDRoth, you said 1 to 4, that's 3 hours

Anyways, 3 hours and your already in Arlington, that gives you Arlington and maybe a couple places along/near the tidal basin - 3 hours is near no time to do anything especially at the time of day during a Tuesday around in that area. What street/road is your business meeting off of and I can pass along a couple of suggestions...

---
Hi Joe,
My meeting is in Crystal City.....................but I see you are in MD.....................I fly out of BWI that evening..............are there any senic spots such as Civil War parks along 95/295 as I drive back to BWI?
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

but I see you are in MD
I am in MD, grew up in DC and MD, and I am in DC on average 2 times per week every week so know the city extremely well. Heading back out on 295 there is really nothing scenic up to BWI unless you are into urban photog in which case NE DC, Bladensburg, Hyattsville offers some of that (you don't want to stop around those areas though without an Urban Guide ). If you are into planes, you could get to BWI quite early, there are plenty of areas outside of the airport grounds to get great pics of planes.

As for civil war areas, northern md is the place for that - the part of md you will be traveling through is more urban areas with tons of wildlife shooting south of 295...

---

10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Joe...................I think I'll try Arlington Cemetary again and shoot with more expereinced eyes than a few years ago...............
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Air Force Memorial is right next to Arlington Cemetary and the Navy Annex. There is also the 9/11 Memorial Park on the west side of the Pentagon. And lets not forget the Iwo Jima Marine Corps Memorial is on the north side of Arlington Cemetary up next to Rosslyn.

Mike
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After all that, maybe a walk thru Rosslyn and over Key Bridge to Georgetown.
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And he is there for the whole 3 hours.
Stick to Arlington or get one of the locals to pick you up and drive around down-town DC.
10-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

GDRoth, I think what Mike mentioned would probably get the most bang for your shooting time. With just 3 hours on Terrible Tuesdays (area traffic term), you will need to stick to one vicinity. Good luck and have fun, post some of the pics you get...

--
10-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cloudy, dark day: Korean War Memorial.

Sunny day: Georgetown canals. Not to be missed; and good food nearby.

Check out Google images to get the gist.
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will be in Arlington VA on business next Tuesday (10/25) and just learned I'll have to kill time from about 1pm till 4pm. So this means I'll bring my K5 and 18-135 DA....................it's supposed to be sunny and 66 deg..................

I might go to Arlington National Cemetary, but am open to other places that might be good for shooting.............the Mall of DC is just across the river also.....................prolly all the leaves are gone by now...............

Any ideas?

Dave
Why don't you take Monday off. Arrive DC Saturday and enjoy the area for 2 1/2 days?
10-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Why don't you take Monday off. Arrive DC Saturday and enjoy the area for 2 1/2 days?
I'll be with my boss till 1pm on Tues and then have to meet him again at 6pm in Baltimore..............so traffic out of DC at 4 could also be a problem....I think I'll go straight to Arlington Cemetery