Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

What do you do with your photos?

So what do with all your snaps, digital or film? Most of mine end up stored indefinitely on multiple drives... as back-ups. I'd say less than 1% get printed and less than 5% get posted to flickr/picasa/facebook. Maye another 1% get printed in photo books for relatives. What about the other 93%?? they sit in my archives until I run out of storage or I do something with them. I told myself next year, starting in January I would do a 'year in review' photo book for the close relatives (siblings, in-laws, parents...).. What about everyone else?

Chris

10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My breakdown and storage is similar to yours with the addtion of 3 large LCD wall frames. The 3 are divided by topic (family LCD in the living room, old scans in office, current stuff in den). With about 45,000 pics in rotation its a cool dynamic decoration if you like such things in lieu of matching colors to furniture.
10-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Pretty much a mix of the above posts. I have a really small house so I use one digital frame and I just changed up the content the other day. I occasionally print photo books. I post a few on facebook and send them out to close friends and family. There are some on my iPad and they get cleaned up every once and a while, the majority are on the pc and are backed up with an external drive.
10-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I think that you will receive a range of response depending upon the interestes of every one. For example, I have a different use and in turn I have a different approach from yours.

I have a lot of "professional shots". That is, photographs that I use to illustrate my work. These are used later to illustrate lectures, seminars and presentations, but also articles, papers and publications. About 10% of my good shots will be used that way, but I need a decent choice to select only the better (or most-suited) shots.

I save all my raw files in HDDs. (I shoot JPEG typically,)
I post-process (PP) about 25-30% of my shots and I saw the PP files on multiple backups (HDDs). I will keep these for a lifetime to give me a wide choice of illustrations for future presentations and publications.
Out of the PP shots, I use:
- About 10% are shown publicly and used as presentation illustrations.
- About 1% are published and end up as published illustrations, incl. photograph in scientific articles.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 10-22-2011 at 05:25 PM.
10-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i usually only keep the better photos and upload a majority of them online and backed up onto my external drive. The not-so-good ones get deleted in a bi-weekly purge of my hard drive. A very small number are either used as wallpapers on my computer. An even smaller number are printed out and added to the wall of my small room. Hopefully, i'll be able to print and display a lot more once i graduate, but i still have a few years until that happens
10-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I back mine on external hard drives and online, plus flickr/facebook etc...

And once every couple months I get a whole bunch printed at a pro-lab.
Then they get framed somewhere in the house or get put into a album.
10-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I transfer them from the camera to the computer. That's usually it. Sometimes I look through them quickly, to tag a few as not being too bad, and thus worth looking at again. More than this is pretty darn rare. (Except back ups. They're on my HD, so of course they get backed up.)

It's quite possibly not the best system.

10-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The holiday photo's end up in a album and the best of the rest is also printed in albums. Just recently I printed some at a pro-photo lab and had them framed for a exhibition.
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

I post almost all photos on SmugMug for family and friends. Half of the fun (for me) is sharing the photos with others