Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rule of Thirds? How come?

Say, do you think that the rule of thirds is often agreeable in photographic viewing because of our brain's heightened sensitivity to facial expressions? Perhaps because we are drawn to the eyes, which are about a third of the way down a person's face, and the mouth, which is about a third the way up from the bottom?

Food for thought.

12-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not exactly sure where it came from, but agree with the premise. In my opinion, scenic images look better with the horizon placed about a third from the bottom to emphasize the sky or a third from the top to emphasize the Earth (water or land). At the same time, images look better with people placed a third from either side generally facing towards the center (space on the opposite side for the subject to move into or look into). I guess that concept simply follows into other photo situations as well.

stewart
12-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #3

Whatever the reasoning, people have found the rule of thirds to be beautiful since antiquity.

The Greeks loved to use the golden ratio in their art and architecture, which is almost (though admittedly not quite) equal to the rule of thirds.
12-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassism Quote
Whatever the reasoning, people have found the rule of thirds to be beautiful since antiquity.

The Greeks loved to use the golden ratio in their art and architecture, which is almost (though admittedly not quite) equal to the rule of thirds.
I think that's more like it. "Rule of thirds" is a lot easier to remember than "Rule of 1:1.618..."

12-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Perhaps because we are drawn to the eyes, which are about a third of the way down a person's face, and the mouth, which is about a third the way up from the bottom?

Food for thought.
<--- Former art student.

Actually, that is not true, when you draw a face, the eyes are actually dead center and everything kinda works its way down from there like in this drawing.
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...what people have said already, which I read from places on the 'net. Like these that do a great and concise job on the subject:

Photography Techniques - THE GOLDEN MEAN
Photography Techniques - RULE OF THE THIRDS

It's worth the two minutes to read.
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Buddha, entertain me if you will, but in terms of our perception and communicative body language, let's say we are more sensitive to the face from mid forehead, where our eyebrows and forehead communicate to the chin... not so much the head as a whole:

Taking only the face into account, the eye and mouth idea it's not too far off the rule of thirds, as in this example:

Yes there is math involved, but humans have developed such a subconscious ability to read even the most subtle of facial expressions, there must be some connection between artistic perception and this highly advanced visual acuity.

12-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Buddha - that's some talent ya got there!

As far as the ROT for landscape - it works, it makes sense HOWEVER, some of my favorite landscape images to look at are early paintings that do not use the rule of thirds, many times the horizon is centered. I can think of a few images where a deer is centered, and the horizon disapears behind it, also centered.

I tend to shoot using the ROT but it's no hard rule for me.
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The ROT is a great starting point & it does work without doubt. However some of the best shots I've seen have completely ignored it !!

Simon
12-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

its not a rule. more like a guidline (now why do i want to say ARGGG after that?)

the Rule of thirds only applies at my families house at thanksgiving. if you reach for thirds, you might pull back with a stump.....

along with the ROT, diagonals also play a part in good composition, leading the eye to important points or areas.
12-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
Ed in GA

The instructor at a course I recently attended had this to say about the rule of thirds.

"In order to by a good photographer, you must learn and undestand the premise of the rule of thirds." "However, it is quite alright to break the rule provided you understand it to begin with."
12-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He teaches the Pragmatic over just the Dogma... my kind'a teacher.
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting thoughts on the matter, but I'm trying to extend this beyond compositional elements into psychology.

I think we can enjoy landscapes shots, for example, that follow the ROT because it has a subconscious personification, an identification with the human and emotional elements which we normally pick up from facial expressions.

Think that's a good enough thesis for an MFA?
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Interesting thoughts on the matter, but I'm trying to extend this beyond compositional elements into psychology.

I think we can enjoy landscapes shots, for example, that follow the ROT because it has a subconscious personification, an identification with the human and emotional elements which we normally pick up from facial expressions.

Think that's a good enough thesis for an MFA?
Yeah, but you might need some data for a PhD...
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #15

actually there have been some very interesting studies that have analized the faces of "beautiful people" through the ages.... and they all share stikingly similar compostion in that the all follow the golden mean, or golden ratio... similar to da vinci's man. I read an article about this a while back... I belive on the BBC, but couldn't find it now. Anyways... it seems that there's a certain constant over time with regards to percieved beauty. As a biologist I'm required to bring up the point that the reason we enjoy symmetry is because it an indicator of health and genetics... as well might be a face and body that follow the golden mean. So it would of made sense for us not to mate with lopsided people. I think cindy crawford's mole is the rule breaker on this one though.