Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Advice on shooting small concert

I live in a pretty small town, next weekend the local legion hall is hosting a concert for the current world champion finger picker. This will be a relatively small concert of approx 180 people. One of the guys at the legion knows I like photography and asked if I would take the photographs for them during the concert. Of course I accepted because I love guitar and photography so it's pretty exciting for me BUT the problem is, I am an absolute newb to photography and have no idea as to what to expect or even how to approach this. Also, I'm not certain my lens is appropriate for this type of shooting. I currently have K5 + kit lens 18-50mm, and my 70mm limited. Does anyone have ANY advice?? I'm wondering if I shouldn't just decline the offer and enjoy the show but man it would be great to get to meet this guy and also get some photo's to boot. Any advice is appreciated!

10-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See if you can get into the hall tomorrow after work and checkout the arrangements. I would think that the 70 ltd lens would be the one. Also, I would get there early during setup and take some practice shots to see how everything goes. Spare battery and sdcard would help. You go with what you have, and make the best of it. Its also referred to as gaining experience.

10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'd probably stick with your 70mm and should do fine. Not sure how your lighting situation will be, you might have to bump up the ISO and if you get to the show early enough, you might be able to persuade the venue to add more light if its looking too dim. Other than that, just have fun!
10-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done some evening photogaphs in our local school hall and I woud agree with the previous posters that your DA70mm f2.4 will be your main lens and it will do the job.

However you may want to ask the organisers and artists for permission to use flash. You will be get the best shots without flash, but you want the option. A good quality flash (not the pop up) may assist.

In advance, charge fully your battery, empty (or reformat) your card, and, as stated by interested_observe, consider to have a spare (charged) battery and a spare card.

Hope that the comment will help.

10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Stick with the 70 I do alot of this type of work be careful with your white balance Tungsten setting for most stage lighting , Don' be afraid to move around to get your shots play with what light is avaliable. Don,t be afraid to take some shots with strong back lighting as well Have fun and enjoy.