Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Death of 35mm cine cams, part 3

On Location: Birns & Sawyer auctions its film cameras - latimes.com <<== linky

QuoteQuote:
Call it film’s last gasp.

Birns & Sawyer, the oldest movie camera rental shop in Hollywood, made history last week when it auctioned off its entire remaining inventory of 16- and 35-mm film cameras.

Owner and cinematographer Bill Meurer said he didn’t want to part with the cameras, but had little choice as the entertainment industry has largely gone digital. “People aren’t renting out film cameras in sufficient numbers to justify retaining them,’’ Meurer said in an interview at his North Hollywood warehouse, where he rents out cameras, lenses, lighting equipment and grip trucks. “Initially, I felt nostalgic, but 95% of our business is digital. We’re responding to the market.”
Not impossible yet, not for awhile, but getting ever more difficult to shoot film. So filmmakers videographers will use digital filtering and zombis audiences won't know the difference and heh-heh-heh that's show-biz, folks!

10-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

Somehow I've missed part 1 & 2... where was that again???
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vranx Quote
Somehow I've missed part 1 & 2... where was that again???
This may be Part 1

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/162330-end-35mm-movie-camera-rip.html
11-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Not impossible yet, not for awhile, but getting ever more difficult to shoot film. So filmmakers videographers will use digital filtering and zombis audiences won't know the difference and heh-heh-heh that's show-biz, folks!

11-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

The zombies aren't the audience, for films anyways, they're still in the picture. Check out AMC for The Walking Dead. Shot on Super 16 (mostly) using Arri 416 cameras. I don't know much about film making beyond Super 8, but those Super 16 cameras are a beautiful piece of industrial design. Like Hasselblads or Bolex's or Rollei's, they just say USE ME all over.

Plus Kodak has a new planned stock coming out soon, though they haven't disclosed any details. And in my field, weddings, Super 8 is having an undead(?) run of it! My clients love both the nostalgia of super 8, and the organic beauty of film. The over produced super real 5D Mark II cinema movement made a push the other way. Same with the way some people prefer instagram iPhone snaps to pictures from their G12.