Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lomography Spinner 360°

Just came across this, very interesting, I only wish it was digital:

http://microsites.lomography.com/spinner-360/

I was wondering, how can I achieve the similar thing digitally with a spare P&S camera. Any ideas?

11-08-2011, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PBS - Scientific American Frontier:Changing Your Mind

Attach one end to a stick, attach a tripod thread to the other end. Put the camera into burst mode and use a hugin to stitch the photos together. It might be tough to find a P&S that has a fast enough burst mode.

You could probably do it with Legos too.

Kids Make Stuff - Lego Rubber Band Motor

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-08-2011 at 09:06 AM.
11-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Various ways to approach this. I have an ancient 1.1mpx (912x1216px) Sony DSC-P20 with a fixed 'normal' lens. I'll put it on TWILIGHT (extended exposure) and maybe use the TIMER. Then I'll toss it in the air and eithe catch it, or aim at something soft. That makes a blurry still.

For a more recognizable shot, with any camera, I'll just put it into some video or fast-burst mode and swing it around. Then import the AVI, or MPG, or JPG sequence (depending on camera) into a video-type editor. For this, I use AnimationShop3 (which came with PaintShopPro9). As needed, convert the vid into JPGs, and select maybe every 5th or 10th or 20th frame. Then use Autostitch to tie them together into a pano or matrix, either of which will show interesting distortion.

The Lomo Spinner or a DIY construct can be used on any digicam at any frame-burst speed. The faster the burst, the faster you spin it. No problem. Stitch the frames together. Depending on speed and warez, select every 2nd or 4th frame or whatever -- some stitchers get real slow when fed too much overlap.
11-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My DroidX is good for a 180 pan (6 stills stitched). Two of those in GIMP and I'd have a 360 pan but really long.

The Spinner camera does a narrow scan while advancing the film. The format of a single fixed frame would be something like a half a portrait, split right down the middle.