Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting urban decay in New York: Where to go?

I think I am going to head to New York over the weekend to workout my new K-5 and * lenses, with two objectives. I want to get some portraits of the protesters down at OWS. I figure they've been there long enough that they're dirty enough to make excellent subjects. Secondly, I want to shoot some urban decay; namely bombed out buildings and rusty cars/trucks. Any suggestions for where I could do this in broad daylight without someone jacking my new $2500 rig would be appreciated.

11-17-2011, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
Shooting urban decay in New York: Where to go?
City Hall?
11-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

"urban decay" area usually is not safe especially in Bronx and Brooklyn. Even in Manhattan if there are projects nearby, you should be careful.
11-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The garbage mountains on Staten Island. Those are about as decayed as you can get, outside City Hall.

11-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
"urban decay" area usually is not safe especially in Bronx and Brooklyn. Even in Manhattan if there are projects nearby, you should be careful.
Maybe I'm just going to do street portraits.

I can take care of myself, but I'd really rather not have to use my K-5 as a weapon. Though I'd imagine a * lens upside the head would hurt.

Hopefully something interesting is still going on down at Zuccotti Park on Sunday. Protesters are fun to shoot.
11-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can always come out here to Detroit. There's plenty of Urban Decay here.

You can always take a large friend with you or get a concealed weapon permit.
11-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
You can always come out here to Detroit. There's plenty of Urban Decay here.

You can always take a large friend with you or get a concealed weapon permit.
I'd love to go to Detroit to shoot. In my former life as a truck driver I did a lot of deliveries in Detroit. It's amazing how far that city has fallen. Bad for the people who live there, but great for shooting photos.

11-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #8

When I go back home for vacation I'm definitely getting some shots of the Bronx
11-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to the lower east side tenements. Either that or in any alleyway
11-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Go to the lower east side tenements. Either that or in any alleyway
Are there still X-flats around E.11th and Ave.C? With trails of full-auto bullet-holes in the brickwork? I haven't been there for awhile.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.
11-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get in a time machine to the mid 80s. Barring that, why not simply enjoy the city for what it is, which may surprise you.
11-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Get in a time machine to the mid 80s. Barring that, why not simply enjoy the city for what it is, which may surprise you.
The time machine comment made me smile. Many people not familiar with NYC still think of it as it was back then, partly due to movies like Taxi Driver and Fort Apache.

It's true you can still find some buildings in disrepair (as is the case in many cities) but overall there are far fewer neighborhoods in decay than 30 years ago. The East River waterfront (Long Island City, downtown Brooklyn) is especially notable for me. Formerly vacant industrial zones filled with rusting buildings and graffiti have been replaced with parks and expensive apartment towers.
11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Save some gas and shoot in Camden.
11-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Willet's Point in Queens might be just your bag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willets_Point,_Queens

"Another euphemism for blight" is what our mayor calls it. If automobiles in various stages of decomposition are your thing, that might be a fun place to poke around in. Catch it before the gentrifiers get a hold of it. It's basically a giant chop shop -- I'd be less worried about people out to steal your camera, perhaps, than people simply wary of snoopy photographers.

After a day of shooting you could treat yourself to a good Chinese meal just a stop or two away in Flushing, or choose from a fantastic variety of "ethnic" restaurants a few stops the other direction in Jackson Heights.
Most of the "decay" in New York is a case of the fish rotting from the blind head -- it's more an internal institutional corruption that's the problem. As far as ordinary people go, I see less decay than efflorescence.

Oh, if you happen to visit Central Park, and you're a "Law and Order" fan -- don't be disappointed if you don't discover a corpse in the bushes. Seldom happens. :ugh:
11-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Save some gas and shoot in Camden.
Or Newark