Bokehenation;
de- = the result of Bokehenating; de-bokehenating

and lot's of new job classifications too:

Apprentice Bokehenator (AB)

Assistant Bokehenator

Associate Bokehenator

Junior Bokehenator (JrB)

Journeyman Bokehenator (JnB)

Able Bokehenator (special maritime/naval photography position when performed by an Able Seaman)

Master Bokehenator (MB)

Bokehenator Supervisor (a BS-er ?)

Senior Overseer of Bokehenation (an SOB ?)

See, creating jobs in a down economy is easy!

H2

Fortunately, no photos are associated with this goat-ropin' exercise.

Last edited by pacerr; 11-19-2011 at 09:57 AM.
11-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

antidisestablishmenbokehnism
11-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

When I learned photography, there was no word for bokeh. What ever did we talk about?
11-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What ever did we talk about?
Sex. Drugs. Music. Politics. Cars. Sports. Sex. Whatever.

Oh, you mean photographically? Regarding OOF (out of focus) areas? We didn't. We didn't talk about crap.factors either, nor white balance, nor chimping. No pixel-peeping. No IQ rants. None of that stuff. Ah, to be young and innocent...

11-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm trying to remember if we ever did talk about OOF in my photo classes. We definitely talked about depth of field, f-stops (& with cinematography, sometimes t-stops -- ahh..t-stops.), tonal range, shadow detail, highlight detail, foreground, background, color palette. We talked about white balance and color temperature a fair bit actually when doing color -- for a while I developed the super-power of being able to see color temperature easily with my own eyes under different kinds of lights. We talked about lens flare once in a while, but I really can't recall talking about "creamy" OOFs or any some such. I think we did observe that the background often needs to be sharp and in-focus or very out-of-focus as that slightly out-of-focus look is just distracting, but that was about it.

I was reading something from the guy that coined the term bokeh (which was around 1995, I think?) and they had lots of complaints to his magazine that it was inappropriate to talk about the OOF areas and no one should be thinking about such things. Weird...
11-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was reading something from the guy that coined the term bokeh (which was around 1995, I think?) and they had lots of complaints to his magazine that it was inappropriate to talk about the OOF areas and no one should be thinking about such things. Weird...
Blame Mike Johnston, currently of The Online Photographer, formerly of Photo Techniques magazine. He only added the "h" to aid in pronunciation, so we're not all "going for boke."

However, it's been discussed as a property of a photograph for a very, very long time.
11-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Blame Mike Johnston, currently of The Online Photographer, formerly of Photo Techniques magazine. He only added the "h" to aid in pronunciation, so we're not all "going for boke."

However, it's been discussed as a property of a photograph for a very, very long time.
Pretty much no one used the word in English until he did that -- he effectively invented it (for North America, anyway). Obviously everything about a photograph was previously discussed, but that really seemed to crystallize it as a mainstream concept. When people talk about lenses now, the second or third thing they say will be about bokeh. (And I certainly don't remember people putting special caps on their lenses with heart-shaped (and other shaped) cutouts to achieve custom bokeh effects. People are obsessed with bokeh now...

11-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much no one used the word in English until he did that -- he effectively invented it (for North America, anyway).
You really think so? Hmmm...
11-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You really think so? Hmmm...
If you can find the term in any mainstream photography book or magazine prior to the 90s, I'll will be proven wrong.