Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Western Digital MyBook World...anyone?

Wondering if anyone has used this drive-it's the white cased version, and the nice thing about the world edition is it's got GigE and can be networked. Staples has the 500gb on sale and I am debating the purchase, but I've seen really mixed reviews. I've got a good track record with WD, but I don't like hearing this unit get negatives like "prone to overheating"--not exactly what you want a backup drive to do.

My other option falls on the other end of the spectrum, and would be spending marginally less for a Passport drive as a backup, and getting only half capacity (250gb versus 500).

I have a passport (my second actually, the first had issues) but debating....then again, I could probably get by with less if I start burning stuff to DVD as a smart move anyways....just wanted to see if anyone else had the World version, and what their experience was

12-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DRM Security Overkill by WD for RIAA/MPAA - dslreports.com It doesn't apply to photos, but something you might want to consider.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 12-17-2007 at 10:10 AM.
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used the "world" edition, but I have had several of the standard WD "my book"s. I've never had a problem with any of them. In fact Buy.com has got the 1TB now on sale for $250. I'm thinking seriously about it.

NaCl(with storage this cheap, it's a crime not to back up)H2O
12-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Being a long-time WD fan having used their drives exclusively for my custom box projects and at work for data - I jumped at the chance to get me one of those WD MyBooks..

Did a little research and I'm glad I did.. You can get more storage, better software, stand-alone operation with web apps for about half the cost with no DRM nonsense. Essentially, for the price you would spend for a 500GB model, you can get 1TB with tons more functionality.

12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

How much is it on sales for?

I just buy an external USB/Firewire case, and stick an OEM drive in it. The cases go for about $40-50, and the drives, you can just get what ever size/drive you want.
For example
Newegg.com - Adaptec 2177400 Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure - Retail
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJB 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Adaptec External enclosure - 44.99
WD Drive - 104.99
Total - 149.98
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

500 GB for $129 / stand alone operation with FTP and Samba servers..

Fat32 file system for best operation with Mac and PC.. No DRM issues AND it really does use a WD hard drive.. lol

Newegg.com - INOi HD363N-500 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Network Hard Drive with built-in FTP and SAMBA Servers - Retail
12-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

dupe post......
12-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am also a longstanding fan of WD, so thats why I wanted to enquire-all my other drives have given me no issues,

I used to take my older drives and make them external. I have 4 such HDD totalling over 1TB of older files, not including 3 laptop external drives or my 500gb that I use exclsuively with the macbook.

Staples had the mybook world with gigE for 200ish, but also the passport drives for 90 and 140 (120/250). I like the passports because the need no power supply. Very convenient for a traveler.

One reason I don't mind the pre-built drives now is because the build quality on enclosures is hit or miss way more than reviews indicate-and I speak specifically about NewEgg (which I like a lot). When I was building 1 or 2 machines a year and using the pulled drive as the drive for my external enclosure, the cost was 50 bucks max. but now I'd have to get the enclosure and a new drive, and most enclosures are hit or miss. I'd rather pay the little bit more for something that is purpose built and has a reputation, considering that for some of these drives, if they die, the data is gone

12-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I like Alan's Idea about using a case and loading an internal into it or five for that matter. but a TB drive for $250.00 is a great way to go. Since I installed my last 500gb WD I now have 1.5TB in three drives. One External Seagate 500gb, and Two WD internal of 500gb each. can't go wrong with storage. I also read the reviews from others that have the same drives and even tho there are some cons to the drives I still bought them and have had no trouble with any of them. The last drive is in service for the past 3 mo. The other two have been in service for over a year, with no problems. Just get the drives from a good dealer in case you do have trouble. In this day and age there are always some people who just can't be pleased no matter what.