Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try using long exposure (couple of seconds) and move your camera while the shutter is open.
The movement can be circles, back and forth or anything else.
The object can be many different things (autumn leaves, colorful market place, etc...).
Try with different things, shutter speeds, movements (and movement speeds) and you will be suprised.

01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Try using long exposure (couple of seconds) and move your camera while the shutter is open.
The movement can be circles, back and forth or anything else.
The object can be many different things (autumn leaves, colorful market place, etc...).
Try with different things, shutter speeds, movements (and movement speeds) and you will be suprised.
This is one of my favorite tricks. Especially with a fixed-lens P&S: I'll set a long exposure, then throw the camera in the air. I do this over soft surfaces, of course, and I do NOT advise using a dSLR! But almost any camera can be safely hung from a line, and swung around slightly or merrily. Or put the camera on a Lazy Susan or a record turntable (use 16rpm not 78rpm!) or on any other gently moving surface. Great fun!
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #18

...or you can have some fun in PP
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find a mud puddle with some twigs in it.
Macro of the grain in a dead tree trunk or board.
Part of almost any object.
A light bulb.
One side of a feather

Thinking outside the box is required for abstracts. Look around, whatever you "see" as a picture might just be one.
I'm not really big on abstracts, but now and then I get a good idea and grab it. Some turn out great, others just get deleted.

02-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Abstraction implies removing well defined and recognizable elements so what remains suggest something that is not there. The viewer fills in the missing information. To a lesser degree you can focus to some details and leave the whole to the imagination.

The simplest form of abstraction in photography is to turn a color image to Black-and-White. By removing the color element, you de-emphasize the subject and focus on other elements like size, shape, tecture, angles, etc. The viewers can think of any color the want and perceive it in their own way.

Another easy way, as it already mentioned, is to use motion and blurriness to "focus" on the act rather than the subjects. I took once a series of pictures of ice skaters as they zipped in front of the camera. Some were in silhouettes while others were like ghosts. I used a P/S camera, holding it up in the air above the crowds and exposing for 1/2 to 2 seconds without looking at the viewfinder or screen. Several of the images were ethereal and made it to the gallery.

Bottom line is you cannot take abstract photos. You have to think in abstract terms and then use photography to capture the abstract expression.
02-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
My attempts. Comments and suggestions deeply appreciated.
Attached Images

03-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Just an FYI - some are referring to non objective abstract art which is different than abstract art or non representational art.

Almost anything that is not representational, might be able to be called abstract. I was taught that non objective abstract art is simply serendipity at it's finest, nothing recognizable or planned. The best example, in my opinion, of non objective abstract art would be something Pollock did, however, so are the works by Rothko considered abstract. Something like stick people drawings are considered abstract but not non objective abstract art. There's always been a battle between abstract and representational artists

In photography, I believe ANY photo can be turned into an abstract image in Post Processing, since some things like, Photoshop or Corel, have all the tools to create this. Trying to capture an image in an abstract style using different settings/techniques on a Digital camera, is the same thing as using Tri-X Film and Camera to take a Black and White photo...