Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
After teaching photography for more than 30 years I have come to one main conclusions with beginners using a tripod. They put the camera on it and plunk it down and there it stays. Yes use a tripod when ever you can but get a quick release for it so you can set up the shot and THEN put the tripod under the camera and get the shot. One other thing a tripod does is to slow you down in the composition process. This is good as it will improve your "Seeing a Picture".

11-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, for the input and discussion. It's greatly appreciated!
11-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by B.G. Quote
After teaching photography for more than 30 years I have come to one main conclusions with beginners using a tripod. They put the camera on it and plunk it down and there it stays. Yes use a tripod when ever you can but get a quick release for it so you can set up the shot and THEN put the tripod under the camera and get the shot. One other thing a tripod does is to slow you down in the composition process. This is good as it will improve your "Seeing a Picture".
I've never thought about it as slowing down the process and that being a good thing. May have to keep my tripod connected next time I'm out taking sunny pictures just to see if that slow down helps me. Thanks for the idea.
11-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
I've never thought about it as slowing down the process and that being a good thing. May have to keep my tripod connected next time I'm out taking sunny pictures just to see if that slow down helps me. Thanks for the idea.
There's another side to this coin however. That is that really inventive compositions can be awkward to compose with a tripod (especially close to the ground or on awkward terrain/water's edge). B.G.'s advice on making sure you have a quick release is really crucial in such situations because it gives you the freedom to easily explore many more dramatic compositions before committing to the tripod. You can then fiddle with the legs until you get something like it.

11-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
There's another side to this coin however. That is that really inventive compositions can be awkward to compose with a tripod (especially close to the ground or on awkward terrain/water's edge). B.G.'s advice on making sure you have a quick release is really crucial in such situations because it gives you the freedom to easily explore many more dramatic compositions before committing to the tripod. You can then fiddle with the legs until you get something like it.
I do have a quick release on my tripod and it also has a reversible center column so I can flip the camera upside down and get very low pictures as well.

I understand what you are saying though, getting too caught up in the "I have to use a tripod" mentality is equally as limiting as any other set of rules.

Thank you both for your input.
11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
I do have a quick release on my tripod and it also has a reversible center column so I can flip the camera upside down and get very low pictures as well.

I understand what you are saying though, getting too caught up in the "I have to use a tripod" mentality is equally as limiting as any other set of rules.

Thank you both for your input.
Well, I'm definitely not saying you're better off *not* using the tripod. I'm just offering some perspective on the claim that 'using a tripod will improve your composition'. It's true in the sense that if you are bothering to take the time to use a tripod you are probably not blowing through an area snapping thoughtlessly. However, a tripod is a cumbersome object, and in my own shooting I find that if I let it be the first step it restricts the quality or imagination of compositions. Having the camera on a quick release mount to explore a subject and various angles/perspectives before getting the tripod involved is very helpful, but this still assumes the tripod re-enters the picture before the final shot is taken. That is, a tripod is great for offering stability and the freedom to take longer exposures, multiple exposures, etc.; you can bend and manipulate those legs to do pretty much anything you want, but it's MUCH less frustrating if you already know exactly the composition that you're after.
11-29-2011, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Having the camera on a quick release mount to explore a subject and various angles/perspectives before getting the tripod involved is very helpful. ...it's MUCH less frustrating if you already know exactly the composition that you're after.
I think this is the way a tripod ought to be used...find the camera position first, then set up the tripod to stabilize the camera in that position. Too many people let the tripod dictate the shot. I kinda think of it like using a ladder. We don't just set up a ladder in the most convenient location, then set about painting whatever we can reach from there. We first determine what we need to paint, then use the ladder to help us achieve that goal. And sometimes...we may not need a ladder at all.