Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help me build a good kit. (A Virtual Camera Bag)

OK, so this one could fit a couple section, but I'll stick it in here as it's meant to be an attempt to help folks who are new to the dslr gig...and maybe for others to learn a couple new things.

OK, so, I want some help building my gear up:
  • Tripod
  • Monopod
  • Flash
  • Carry bag (but we kinda have a thread for this)
  • Basic lenses

Now, here's how I'll be using my virtual bag, so please help me understand what you think would be good to fill it up:

1 - 20% indoor shots - family, friends, pets
2 - 30% outdoor still lifes
3 - 10% landscapes
4 - 30% macro (even split, indoor, outdoor)
5 - 10% action shots (motorsports, etc.)

To keep things realistic for everyone, let's NOT assume we all have big budgets - suggest new gear or used - but the focus should be on quality gear that gets the job done. Obviously, the big dollar glass would be nice, but let's try to keep any lens costs under, say, $700 each for this exercise.

Let's try for a limit of 4 lenses to cover everything, too.

So, have fun dreaming up the combos - who knows, I might go buy some of what you all suggest.

12-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very little has changes in thirty years; zooms and digital are the biggies.

Any solidly built tripod with a 10-15 lb capacity and a good pan/tilt head. Quick release is a plus. Manfrotto 3001. Manfrotto 3030 (quick release). Carry case, leg covers and spike feet are good upgrades to the 'pod'. A geared head or macro slide head add to future functionality for the whole support.

Again, solid is key in monopods. And a good head is just as important--think ball head.

I'm all for dedicated flash personally. Under the terms you specified the Pentax 360 is the hands-down best bang for buck in brand name dedicated.

In bags think stealth, strength, padding. The LowePro Sling series is all three.

Modest wide-angle, normal, short tele, long tele: 28MM, 50MM, 100mm, 200mm. In digital (aps-c) sizing: 12-17mm 24-40mm, 30-100mm, any-200+mm. Frankly, you can cover the range with just three zooms and unless you are sports, macro or birding anything in 10-200mm will fit all or part of the need.

I've shot a lot of sports/action: constant f/2.8 max aperture zooms from 15-200mm work best;20-35mm, 24-80mm, 80-200mm. The long two are most useful and max the budget at $1600.00 . I'm also partial to primes with macro capability: 24-50-70-105-180. The short four all fit the $1600.00 budget. Brand specifics don't really matter unless one is a purist.

Be mindful of the objective end diameter; where you put a filter. Having six different diameters of filters in the bag makes it heavy and fragile.

Some unmentioned accessories: a squeeze blower (Giotto)/brush (sensor brush). A mass storage device with card reader (hyperdrive, flashtrax, similar). A good card wallet (no recommendation-still looking).
12-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, well you know there can be hundreds of combinations, so I'll give you my current favorite "small kit"

1. K10D W/ Grip and extra batteries
2. Walk around lens: Pentax FA28-105 f3.2-f4.5 - $209.95 New
3. Wide angle: Pentax DA 10-17 FE - $499.95 New
4. Long Range: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX (DG or non DG) $500-$650 used
5. Portrait/Low light: Pentax FA50 f1.4 - 219.95
(All new prices - B&H no rebate)
6. Tripod, any quality medium duty tripod with a good ball head will do.
7. Flash Sigma EF500 DG Super w/ Lumiquest Ultra bounce and Lumiquest Softbox

I still haven't figured out what to do about a bag. I've got 3 of them.

It will be interesting to see what others come up with.