Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
photo school, workshop, class?

So I had a revelation today--I look to spend money on glass and stuff, but aside from magazines and the occassional book, it didn't come t me till today to look into a seminar of some type.

working (mostly) in NYC, I am close to a smaller local store, and reasonably close to adorama. so i got to thinking, at this point whether i find some NYC folks who feel like mentoring a noob, or get recommendations for a class or seminar offering at adorama, that money might get me more right now than any glass i buy would.

so....any recommendations? anyone here ever go to an adorama workshop? several looked good, with my main concerns being time and availability due to my work schedule.

thanks

12-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know about NYC, but I have taken some classes at a junior college near my home. I have enjoyed all the classes I've taken. I first took an intro class on digital photography which was quite interesting, even though I've been into photography for over 30 years. I'm currently taking Photoshop I and will take Photshop II starting in January. Junior college classes are also very inexpensive - at least they are where I live.
12-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

well jm........i went through nyip ( new york institute of photography ).....but only for their digital......i did a home study, in essence it covered most areas extremely well......shootin' scanning, processing, the entire thing took about a year ( a few treks for shooting photography in between.........) their fees are reasonable, and they work out the details.....and they are local.......if something like that interests you chk em out, they may even be able to direct you as to alternatives......gl
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If I ever get on a day shift again, hopefully next year, I am definitely going to night school for photography. Hopefully one that starts out with film and then moves into digital. I really want to learn composition, proper lighting/exposure techniques and philosophies behind shooting.

12-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking of some workshops at Adorama, they seem to have a good selection. But then part of me wonders if it wouldn't be enough or not.

Anything to help the move from just shoving a camera up to my face and snapping a bunch of shots, to taking really well composed images....
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also check out any camera clubs or vo-tech schools that are near you. I don't know about where you live, but around here there are also photography classes that are sponsored by art museums and galleries.
12-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Here is the classes adorama offers.The Perfect Picture School of Photography
Jim

12-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Here is another school in NYC. They are supposed to be real good.New York Institute of Photography - Home
Jim
12-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Try your local universities as well. I dont know how they set up courses in NY but most if not all down here have night classes you can do partime. The best part of uni run courses is they already have all the facilities and gear you need to get the most out of your learning, fully loaded darkrooms, studios, lighting..etc. Im not so sure about seminars to be honest though. You walk in sit down, guy/gal talks and thats it. Great if your an advanced photog looking for a fresh perspective but not for a student looking to aquire the principles of photography. You could learn just as much from browsing this forum in that regard. Go for the hands on approach.
12-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
VAV

I once took a class at Photo Manhattan 51W 14th Street (NYC Photography classes, private courses, free seminars NYC, Photo studio and darkroom rental, digital photography, exhibits at PhotoManhattan) and found it very useful. They hold seminars/ classes on an ongoing basis.