Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Remember boys and girls, if your photos of the ocean aren't good enough, you're not close enough to be pulled out to sea.
That's why I stroll along beaches with an Oly 770-SW (good down to 10m underwater) and not my K20D. Well, I used to carry a camcorder and a waterproof bag, but reaction time is needed. Oops.

12-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wait, why didnt he grab the camera and lift it up when the water started getting closer? why did the video end so abruptly? wouldnt we see a few seconds of underwater thrashing before it succumbed to Poseidon? that is a cool looking tidal surge.
hopefully, next time he'll get a rolling log resistant Pentax.
12-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

brought back some bad memories...

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-02-2011 at 09:55 AM.
12-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Remember boys and girls, if your photos of the ocean aren't good enough, you're not close enough to be pulled out to sea.
You mean like this? The edge is about 3' away.

Mike

12-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

When I find myself with hours to kill down at the docks in Tokyo, I sometimes go over to the central breakwater area (reclaimed land), climb up on the seawall and take pictures of ships going through the channel. That far up inside the bay and inside the breakwater the waves are typically gentle, but a passing ship can sometimes kick up quite a wake. Often the ships are gone and out of sight by the time the effect works its way over to the seawall. So long as the waves hit diagonally it isn't too bad, but every now and then the waves hit much more close to parallel.

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5

I was just about to climb up on the seawall when I noticed a big stretch of it was wet. A couple of large waves hit just right and I caught the above photo of the water spraying up probably about 10 feet above the wall. It hasn't made me decide to stay off the seawall, but it has made me decide to keep my gear so I can more quickly grab it and get the hell off if I spot the waves building up for something like this.
12-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I could have fallen into the icy cold waters of Lake Michigan as the waves were washing up against the slippery ice-covered rocks I was perched on. I grabbed my camera and tripod and scrambled up to safety, and not a moment too soon.

Managed to get a nice shot - one of my favorites so far. However, I learnt not to risk my life for a mere photograph, it's not worth it!

(BTW that's ice on the filter that's causing the blurry spots at 10 and 12 o clock)
12-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Managed to get a nice shot - one of my favorites so far. However, I learnt not to risk my life for a mere photograph, it's not worth it!
That's a stupendously beautiful shot, with great texture and color balance. I'm glad you survived it. Survivable adventures are always the best.

12-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
...Survivable adventures are always the best.
there's not a person alive who wouldn't agree with that statement.
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5

[/center]

That wall of water is incredible. You sure that's only 10 ft above the breakwater? Yikes.
12-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

When I find myself with hours to kill down at the docks in Tokyo, I sometimes go over to the central breakwater area (reclaimed land), climb up on the seawall and take pictures of ships going through the channel. That far up inside the bay and inside the breakwater the waves are typically gentle, but a passing ship can sometimes kick up quite a wake. Often the ships are gone and out of sight by the time the effect works its way over to the seawall. So long as the waves hit diagonally it isn't too bad, but every now and then the waves hit much more close to parallel.

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5

I was just about to climb up on the seawall when I noticed a big stretch of it was wet. A couple of large waves hit just right and I caught the above photo of the water spraying up probably about 10 feet above the wall. It hasn't made me decide to stay off the seawall, but it has made me decide to keep my gear so I can more quickly grab it and get the hell off if I spot the waves building up for something like this.

wow very nice mike, though i may switch to a 135-200 or so and stand back a bit if i were you
12-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
...Survivable adventures are always the best.
there's not a person alive who wouldn't agree with that statement.
Then why all the love for Robert Falcon Scott, the South Pole luzer?

My SA (other than nearly going over a tall Yosemite waterfall) was a drive on Hwy 5 from Guatemala City to Salama. The maps show it as a paved national highway. Well, it is at either end, briefly. But mostly it's one of those nightmare dirt tracks with steep grades, immense drop-offs, huge holes (mud or void), oncoming trucks and chicken buses, and some glorious vistas. We and the car survived. !Milagro!

Last edited by RioRico; 12-04-2011 at 08:17 PM.
12-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
wow very nice mike, though i may switch to a 135-200 or so and stand back a bit if i were you
That was taken with a 135, as I was about to climb up and shoot ships. If I had known it was coming I would have used something much wider. That was the second of only two waves that slammed the wall and sprayed up like that. The first hit and I quickly pre-focused on the wall and waited for more, but there was only the one.

I'm guessing it was 10~12 feet above the seawall, but it is another 8~10 feet down to the water from that so the total height was maybe about 20 feet.
12-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

C'mon, who hasn't fallen in an ocean/lake and drowned a camera...

The Philippines took my first Pentax on my first day of a fantastic trip.
12-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
C'mon, who hasn't fallen in an ocean/lake and drowned a camera...
Me. Since I started shooting around 1955, I have never drowned a camera. Dropped and smashed some, sure, but never drowned.
12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5

There is a wall like that in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. Same situation where it splashes up when the waves hit just right. IIRC, we saw a couple people get soaked when they weren't expecting a wall of water.