Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Possible change of camera bag...

So, I am facing a minor dilemma of sorts, figured I'd ping the forum for opinions and thoughts....

For now (i hope) my LBA is in check--there's one I want, but don't really need, so I am holding off on it for now, and dare not speak it's name.....

But, other than that, I've got a lowepro slingshot 200aw for my gear--which, until today, was perfectly fine for it all.
Now, there is no way I get all my lenses into the bag, and while I understand this particular bag wasn't designed for it, and I probably won't carry all my lenses all the time, I do need to have them with me--for example, I travel extensively for work, and I don't feel like being in Brazil and wanting my macro lens, which I left at home due to lack of space in the bag. However, when I am just in NYC, I can and do leave things at home.

So...Any suggestions? One reason I'd like a bag to fit all or most all lenses in, is for carry-on purposes. I don't think I'd ever trust lenses in luggage under the plane, unless I bought a pelican or haliburton type case, and I'd rather put that money elsewhere in my gear.
I would consider a bag that can carry a laptop too, otherwise my 2 carry on bags are my camera bag and my laptop bag. Not a huge deal, but its one option I am considering.

Now, of the lenses I have, here's what I'd travel with--in some loose order of importance, i think
1-DA* 50-135--Currently on the camera because it doesn't fit in the bag any other way
2-DA 16-45--What I'd actually prefer to keep on the camera as it is more of the walk-around variety, and would be wise to have the most used lens on camera for convenience.
3-DA 10-17 Fisheye--love this lens, can't leave home without it
4-Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro...new, just got it, love the few shots I've done with it and can't see me wanting to leave it at home
5-DA 50-200MM---why have this and the 50-135 in the case? Simple. Until there's a better lens covering above 135, this is my long reach lens. Might not be used as much, but still to be used
6-DA 40MM limited-still not really using the limited a ton, however it takes up a small amount of space, has great IQ etc etc
7-50mm 1.7 (manual). With the limited and the macro, this lens is probably sitting at home more often than not, even though keeping it out doesn't really save me vast amounts of space
8-DA 18-55 Kit lens---aside from a backup should something happen to my 16-45, there's no reason for this to be coming with me much at all. I have one long span of travel next year so I might find a way to bring this along, just in case something bad does happen. But it would not likely come in the kit bag ever.

Add to this the usual assortment of add-ons--filters (though right now, none for the 67mm needs of the newest lenses). SD cards, spare battery. Also do have a manfrotto tripod in its own bag (doubt it would be small enough to strap to the back of a photo backpack like I've seen before...
And if there is a laptop pouch, great. If not, thats why I have a laptop bag lol

So, if there's a bag out there that could fit most my lenses in a still friendly carry around/carry on type arrangement, I'd love to hear about it.

I am not married to the slingshot style bags, FWIW. It isn't a bad bag, and I like the weather cover, but for me, swinging it around and opening it up isn't all that it's cracked up to be-If you need to swap a lens, it's usually better to take the pack off and do it with the bag on solid ground.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed. As mentioned, no I don't think I'd ever be crazy enough to have all of them in my bag at the same time, except when in transit to a location. But I would like a bag big enough/flexible enough that I am not required to have the DA* Mounted to fit it in the bag, which is basically my situation now

thanks

12-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use the Lowepro Rover AW Plus, and it should have enough room for your gear. it is a dual-compartment bag, with room on the top as a 'normal' backpack and the bottom reserved for photo gear. It has six deep pockets in the bottom, so if you mounted your 16-45 on camera, you could fit that plus five other lenses (and the DA 40 is small enough you could stack it with the fisheye zoom), so if you left your 18-55 home or got an external lens case (highly recommended for commonly used lenses) you should be able to fit them all in.

Using the backpack alone, it's not very easy to get lenses out. It CAN be done without taking it off, but not easily. it has several slip-lock loops on the straps that go over your shoulders and on the straps that go around your waist so if you get some of the lens cases it makes for a rather convenient system- quick access to the lenses you use most, the rest within reasonable reach, and even though it's not designed for it I can barely fit my 13" macbook inside the top compartment.

It also has the AW cover, and the normal material is good enough to withstand a short, light shower.
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For that amount of gear...

I'd second Clawhammer's recommendation of the Lowepro Rover AW. I'd also look at the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. I own both and they can both hold a surprising amount of gear. Each one caters to a different style of carrying equipment, however.

The Lowepro has external straps that you can hook a tripod on to. Plus lots of extra pockets and storage areas that are very handy. As noted, this is a backpack style but it's great for extend hiking & walks. I've used my Rover backpack extensively, it's probably my most used camera bag.

The Crumpler is extremely well padded and is a briefcase/satchel style. You can carry a small tripod if you lay it horizontally over the top of the bag and then close the cover over it. You can even slip a small laptop in if you try. I've got the oh-so-stylish bright red version and it attracts other photographers like bees to honey. It generates bag lust in a way I've never seen before.
12-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have half a dozen camera bags, most of which collect dust in my closet. One that I am really sold on recently is the Domke Brand. I have a medium sized bag (3XB) in black balastic cloth and it is great. For the number of lenses you like to lug around I would suggest a larger Domke - like the J series. They are super tough - easy to access (no zippers) - and tuck neatly under a plane seat. Check Ebay for better prices.

12-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack

Here is a review I wrote several months ago for my then newly acquired Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack. This relatively compact (12.75in/32cm wide x 16in/41cm tall x 10in/25cm thick) backpack features solid construction, good padding, and comfortable fit. Since the main compartment interior is slightly thicker at the top (6-6.5 inches) than at the bottom (5-5.5 inches), the Pentax K10D with battery grip sits very nicely in the top-center of the bag as intended by the manufacturer. I typically leave a 18-250mm zoom lens, with lens hood extended, permanently attached to the camera.

After the camera and zoom lens, there is still room for several smaller lenses or a larger lens with two or three smaller lenses, a Pentax AF-540FGZ flash with accessories (diffusers, etc.), perhaps a spare camera body (depending on the number of lenses), a handful of filters (square or round in cases), spare battery and charger, angle viewfinder, and small accessories (cords, straps, etc).

The two smaller "winged" pockets on the outside of the lid are too small and shallow to hold much securely. The tiny pockets inside do hold the K10D battery and memory cards, but AA batteries tend to fall out easily if not contained in an plastic baggie or something before placed inside.

The K10D's owners manual fits nicely into either one of two areas; the bottom fiber-reinforced clear plastic pocket on the inside of the lid or the larger zippered pocket on the outside of the lid. In fact, the large zippered pocket on the outside of the lid is big enough to hold the owners manual, a one-inch thick paper-based organizer, and a light jacket or wind-breaker folded flatly.

There are two Modular Accessory System (MAS) slots on each side of the backpack, allowing up to four MAS compatible items to be attached (pouches, water bottle holder, etc). And four Strap Accessory System (SAS) slots on the shoulder straps, allowing for four SAS compatible items (cellphone or MP3 player pouch, etc). Two strap holders on the bottom of the backpack could be used to carry a larger jacket or tripod (extra straps not included, but the tripod straps on the lid could be moved to here). A jacket could also be bungied to the slot attachments on the top and sides of the backpack.

I added a pair of Tamrac N-11 quick-release camera straps to the metal d-rings on the shoulder straps of the backpack, eliminating the need for an additional neck strap for the camera. The quick-release connectors fit all Tamrac quick release straps. Since I don't like waistbelts, I cut off the included canvas waist strap (slight melting the tips to prevent fraying). I also shortened some of the longer straps so they wouldn't drag on the ground while the backpack is carried by hand (leaving plenty to extend over heavier clothing). I also removed the quick-release chest strap fitted between the two shoulder straps.

Finally, I added a newly purchased "Velbon Ultra MAXi F" tripod (14-inches folded) to the side of the backpack - instead of the lid to balance better on my back. This is a very nice little travel tripod, by the way. It's clearly not as steady as a heavy-duty tripod, but good enough for most situations especially with legs spread slightly, not fully, while handled like a monopod. I replaced the pan/tilt head with a Velbon PH-353 ballhead, increasing the folded length to about 16-inches but stronger to better support the heavier Pentax K10D.

All of this makes for a reasonably compact travel setup only as heavy as the number of items added.

stewart
12-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i like the look of the lowepro one. how big a tripod can it really hold well? i have a bag for my manfrotto, but i love the idea of everything in one/on one bag
12-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got this tripod, which folded it says is 23 inches. when I put it in the holder, it actually seems a few inches short- the bag could easily handle something 6" longer or more. One note is that it is hard to get into the camera compartment with the tripod attached, unlike the tamracs that have the tripod holder to the side. You could rig a way to hang it from the waist strap, kinda like a knight's sword... [/GEEK]