Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Guidelines re shutter speeds?

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to shutter speeds? I'm looking for "guidelines" for capturing subjects in various states of motion. For example what shutter speed is best for soccer?...How about a non tripod shot of people posing?
Any steer would be appreciated.

12-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Time to read a great book

QuoteQuote:
Understanding Exposure
12-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter speed must compensate for two types of movement: Camera movement or 'shake' and subject movement. For shake the rule of thumb is 2 or 3x the focal length for an average steady person. An experienced person using all of the tricks can do much better.

For subject movement:
People sitting = 1/100
People running = 1/250
Cars = 1/500
Birds in flight = 1/1250

Those are VERY crude rule of thumb just to give you an idea and certainly nothing scientific. Way too many other variables involved: speed of subject, focal length of lens, distance to subject, angle of motion relative to camera, is panning used, etc.

As noted above read "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson for a thorough discussion.
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the guidelines! Yeah, a constant learning curve as per the ISO, aperture etc variables. But these should help me as I mess around with the TAv setting on my K5.
Thanks again.

12-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good tutorials are offered in these threads for your reading:
Learning basic photographic techniques - PentaxForums.com
"Understanding Exposure" by Peterson and taking pics with my Kit Lens - PentaxForums.com
Exposure: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO - PentaxForums.com
12-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For subject movement:
People sitting = 1/100
People running = 1/250
Cars = 1/500
Birds in flight = 1/1250
Those are good basic rules of thumb (RoTs). Another RoT is to use a shutter speed of 1/FL for handheld still shots with SR on, or 1/(5FL) with SR off. So if you're shooting a tree with a 50mm lens, use 1/50 with SR on and 1/250 with SR off. That's if you want the tree to look sharp.

The absolute basic RoT is: as fast as possible!

QuoteQuote:
Way too many other variables involved: speed of subject, focal length of lens, distance to subject, angle of motion relative to camera, is panning used, etc.
Yes indeed, it depends. Depends on those variables, and ISO, aperture, light, desired effects, et al. Think of every photo as an equation to be solved, with many possible solutions. There is no single perfect exposure. Or, whatever works is the right exposure for any particular photo.
12-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!!