Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Christmas Lights in Manual

I want to try my hand at photographing night scene Christmas decorations using manual settings on my K5. I realize the exposure would be determined by the amount of light emitted by the lights, but would like a general idea of the sorts of exposures I might start with and any special techniques or useful features in my camera.

Thanks.

12-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try using either Sv or TAv mode. These will allow you to work with ISO in a very helpful way for night shots. I also find that I want to underexpose the image by as much as -2ev. Basically, plan on taking some test shots to get your exposure right. Usually, the first ones metered by the camera will be tend to be over exposed. Also as good as the K5 is in low light you may want to shift to manual focus.
12-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
I want to try my hand at photographing night scene Christmas decorations using manual settings on my K5. I realize the exposure would be determined by the amount of light emitted by the lights, but would like a general idea of the sorts of exposures I might start with and any special techniques or useful features in my camera.

Thanks.
You may want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/166873-...christmas.html

you will find some useful tips there ... I sure did when I posted it !

JP
12-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #4

Make sure you use a tripod, and as slow shutter speed as necessary (and practical) to keep the iso nice and low. For this type of thing you usually want a really smooth (ie not grainy) photo to give a kind of "high class" look. Try messing around with a small aperture too, to make some cool stars around the lights!

12-09-2011, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm sure I posted this but I can't find the thread.
This is a "candid" shot through a fast lens with shitty filter at high ISO so that the light points bounced and flared.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Edit: incase the exif doesnt show, 1/60 f 1.8 ISO 3200

Last edited by Gashog; 12-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.
12-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
12-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not sure if you are talking indoor, outdoor, or both. But one thing when shooting outdoor lighting is don't wait until it's pitch black out. Shooting at dusk will give you a better lighting balance.

12-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am talking about Christmas decorations OUTSIDE, as you guessed. Thanks for the info. I really do want to experiment with long exposures and the prospect of darkness in the image is okay.
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

You might also think about playing with a star filter. I have done some shots with a Cokin 8 point star filter that give a nice effect. If I remember, because the photos are on my computer at home, I started at 5s at f/4.5 and ISO 100.
12-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Take a shot in Av or P mode. Chimp it in the LCD screen. Set your manual exposure according to that.

1/2 second, F6.3, ISO 100
12-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Err...Wuah gorgeous shot batman!. Whats that flare and bounce around the deer? Whats this shitty filter and where can I get it? More importantly ..can anyone explain to me the actual concept / or name of concept in which light divides into points which then bounces off air and flares?

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
I'm sure I posted this but I can't find the thread.
This is a "candid" shot through a fast lens with shitty filter at high ISO so that the light points bounced and flared.

[/url] [/IMG]

Edit: incase the exif doesnt show, 1/60 f 1.8 ISO 3200
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Err...Wuah gorgeous shot batman!. Whats that flare and bounce around the deer? Whats this shitty filter and where can I get it? More importantly ..can anyone explain to me the actual concept / or name of concept in which light divides into points which then bounces off air and flares?
I would imagine it would merely be imperfections in the filter that does not transmit light properly and causes refractions or reflections within itself - and so the camera sees those refracted or reflected lights within the filter and record it.
12-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Choose your aperture and a low ISO. You'll need a tripod and use the camera's timer. You'll be at the mercy of the camera's shutter speed. Nice capture Michael.
12-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Choose your aperture and a low ISO. You'll need a tripod and use the camera's timer. You'll be at the mercy of the camera's shutter speed. Nice capture Michael.
Thanks.
Chrismas lights at night might make a sweet HDR capture also. There are a number of effects you can shoot for with a subject like this.
12-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #15

Star filter can give some nice images, just don't go wild with it; can get rather old. They work best when there is a bright point source of light, lots of little lights can make for a very busy image. It is also a bit easier to balance things out if there is snow or something reflective on the ground.

Some Examples:
Tree

Tree with 8 point start filter

Lights on the house

Lights with snow

Going a bit crazy with the star filter