Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How low can the k10d price drop?

Last year I bought one of the first k10d's available for $1,000.00. It was a great purchase and I love the camera, it has served me well. I am looking to pick up another k10d sometime before May 2008.
There are a couple things confusing my decision as to when to puchase another body. First, I have to send my current k10d in for service in January sometime. Dang it will be like parting with a child! But the top LCD is shorting out somewhere and not displaying the shutter speed completely all the time. I also want to get the metering checked as it's been playing strangely with me. After over 38,000 shots on my k10d I'd say it is going quite well, but I do need to send it in while my local camera shop can get the service covered under warranty.
So, my confusion is, do I take advantage of the rebate now and buy another body so I am not dslr less while my current k10d is away for service. Does anyone have a crystal ball to know if the rebate for the k10d body will continue after January 31st? Or will the prices drop on the k10d substantially after the new Pentax dslr's are released?
My current thinking is how low can it go? I was almost toying with the idea of the new Pentax, but it'll be too much money for me, and if it turns out to be all it is hyped up to be, I can wait and buy one when it drops to half the price like the k10d has!

12-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Last year I bought one of the first k10d's available for $1,000.00. It was a great purchase and I love the camera, it has served me well. I am looking to pick up another k10d sometime before May 2008.
There are a couple things confusing my decision as to when to puchase another body. First, I have to send my current k10d in for service in January sometime. Dang it will be like parting with a child! But the top LCD is shorting out somewhere and not displaying the shutter speed completely all the time. I also want to get the metering checked as it's been playing strangely with me. After over 38,000 shots on my k10d I'd say it is going quite well, but I do need to send it in while my local camera shop can get the service covered under warranty.
So, my confusion is, do I take advantage of the rebate now and buy another body so I am not dslr less while my current k10d is away for service. Does anyone have a crystal ball to know if the rebate for the k10d body will continue after January 31st? Or will the prices drop on the k10d substantially after the new Pentax dslr's are released?
My current thinking is how low can it go? I was almost toying with the idea of the new Pentax, but it'll be too much money for me, and if it turns out to be all it is hyped up to be, I can wait and buy one when it drops to half the price like the k10d has!
IMHO, just buy the new k10d. No matter what you buy, you always end up paying more than you could have if you had ... pick a choice. I paid $1,200 for my 50-135 DA*, and now I could get it for less. I paid $899 for my 16-50, and so on and so forth. What price being without the camera? You are luckier than I, in that you have the option of buying a second body to replace the one that you need to send in after 38,000 images. I don't have the cash to buy another camera body, I spent it on the DA* lenses. I have to live with that.
12-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You've got to think of a dSLR as a consumer electronic device or computer, not a camera. The $1,500 computer you bought a few years ago will be worth $100 by 2008. The 512MB iPod that was $100 yesteryear has been replaced by a 5Gig model for $100.

Think of a camera body as a depreciating asset (like your car). The real value is in good lenses. The best quality lenses will decline the least over the years. The star lenses are a perfect example of this.

Each year manufacturers are pushed to come out with a "new & improved". This maintains interest in the brand and stimulates sales. What's the life of a Blackberry? A whopping 18 months before the average user replaces it with an newer model.

It's not just Pentax. Nikon came out with the D200 about 2006. If you go over to the Nikon fora you'll see people dumping their almost-new D200's in order to buy the new D300. F70's are selling for as low as $200. What a vicous treadmill to be on.
12-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price may drop on the K10D and it may not. There are no more K10D cameras available for dealers to order from Pentax. Won't be any more. All that is left is whats in the supply chain now. They won't say if the rebate is extended after the 31st. Would probably buy one now. I am in the same boat. Will buy Pentax extended warranty on next body.
thanks
barondla

12-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Busiko

Technology transfer

Take the example in the home printers field. nowadays you get printers for a nice low price. But you pay good for the replacement ink cartridges. One day, when Photo camera makers get the technology and transfer to the Lens itself all the important features and operations, you'll find something like " Buy our Zoom Tri-Y Pan" and get two bodies for the same Price.
12-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The price may drop on the K10D and it may not. There are no more K10D cameras available for dealers to order from Pentax. Won't be any more...
If that is the case, its price won't drop. It will simply disappear and the new body will be on the shelf for people to buy.

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
You've got to think of a dSLR as a consumer electronic device or computer, not a camera. ...
A camera body is not exactly same as a computer. A computer becomes useless after 10 year because it can't run new applications. But a 10 year old camera, as long as it still functions normally, will take pictures just as good as it was new, though it may worth less.