Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manfrotto 680 monopod and 486RC2 ball head

Just went out and bought both this morning before we had our kids Christmas party here at work.

Used it to shoot about 100 pics - what a dramatic difference in the experience.

The Manfrotto gear is clearly top quality. I was pretty much leaning my weight on the camera (in portrait position) for about 30 minutes. The ball head never slipped, everything was super tight, the rubber end on the floor was nice and grippy.

Heck, the whole setup without the camera only weighs 2 - 3 lbs. at most, so now I just need to snag a carry strap from somewhere and this puppy is ready to work the offroad events with me.

With the camera mounted, it's easily just ABOVE my eye-level when fully extended. I'm 6 feet tall for reference.

Three clasps release or set each expandable section, and it comes with a tool to adjust the spring-loaded tension on each clasp - nice touch.

Local shop costs:
  • Monopod - about $80
  • Head - another $80

...and I bought the wireless remote, too, for the K10d - though I'm going back for the wired one, too.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my first impressions of the monopod/head combo - it's top notch all the way.