Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Portrait equipment purchase

Maybe in the wrong place, so if it is I apologize

I am looking to purchase some low-key, small-footprint lighting gear and essentials for portrait photography. One key part is it more or less be portable and store/transport easily.

I have a couple areas I am interested in-
1-Family portraits---this area will hopefully improve. I would love to get my wife away from the mall store-front shots for the holidays.

2-Friends and possible TFP work---this would really be how I could branch out, whether for more fun, or possibly a side venture. Right now, hobby only.

I know I can make backgrounds cheaply, but what I am more concerned with is lighting and such--I only have the on-camera flash and the 360 flash. Not sure what is out there on a low-end budget that would meet the requirements, if anything.

Don't want to make a huge investment (so if it's worth renting, speak up). But I don't want to get someone (like my wife) to play along, only to see the end result and curse at myself for using bad lighting

any input, as always, is appreciated

12-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Here is a good place to start.
Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

The Vivitar 285hv, stands, and compact umbrella total about $160. I'm not including the radio triggers because you have a lot of options and prices available. I use the Pocket Wizards. They are extremely reliable, but are your most expensive option.
12-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I use the Pocket Wizards. They are extremely reliable, but are your most expensive option.
I think strobist plays down the cactus v2s. I just got mine in the mail and they haven't failed to fire the strobe once......apart from user error

Super satisfied and only 30 bones!
12-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well of course the cheapest option is a long PC cord and optical slaves to fire the secondary flashes, but once you go wireless, who wants to fiddle with cords.

12-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #5

Hi jmdeegan,

"Low end budget" is a little vague, but I've been very happy with using 1 AF540fgz and 1 AF360fgz wirelessly triggered by the K10D's onboard flash.

This setup is pretty flexible, as the 2 pentax flashes allow you to control how much light each contributes to the exposure in PTTL mode. They also allow you to experiment with full manual and auto flash later, but let you get started now.

This combo, plus an umbrella, a reflector and a backdrop give a ton of options. Do you already have tripods (or something) to attach two off camera flashes? The 540 comes with a "table top" stand so it will stand upright on it's own, but it's still only 5" high.

For this shot, I kept the 540 on camera, but the 360 was to my right, all PTTL. That's why I got a shadow to the left of the dogs. I only recently got a k10, so I was used to using having the one flash on-camera with my K100. Having 2 crossed off-camera flashes would have given a more 'professional' result, imho. Too bad I didn't think of it at the time -- I'm learning, too.

Good luck with your decision... post up some pics when you decide on something!!!

There are other PTTL flash options as well, if the 540 doesn't fall under "low budget". I have no experience with those units.

-Chris
12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
low budget from this point on would be something lower end than the 360, i think.

i do have two tripods, walmart specials, so i assume i could rig the flashes to that. the camera itself would be on a manfrotto

i think the umbrella and reflector ideas will be researched tonight, assuming daddy gets all the toys put together by a reasonable hour.....