Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #1

How to get pictures like this (Free Soul please read)

I am completely blown away by the photography skills of the user "Free Soul" on this forum.

I am particuarly interested HOW to get the same results as the pictures that were posted by the user:

golden sunsets | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

summer in november | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I hope she doesn't mind me linking them but how in the hell can you shoot against the sun and achieve those results?

Free Soul, if you are reading this I'd appreciate some input. I can't see any evidence of fill-in flash here but your exposures are spot on.

12-26-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I suspect subtle fill flash is one part of the equation.
12-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I suspect subtle fill flash is one part of the equation.
Absolutely agree. If you go through the Flikr shots you can see how in some shots the face and chest are much lighter than the arms. Either that or lightening in PP.

Love this shot from her stream : dreams-never-told | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
12-26-2011, 02:37 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, and thank you for your comments.

Yes, you are right - there is no fill-flash or reflector used. Although a reflector would make things much easier - I always forget to take my when I go out shooting.

About the technique in shooting back-lighted objects (it's nothing special) -

I have set my metering mode on SPOT
I use ISO 100 or 200
My shutter speed is high enough to get a little bit underexposed the shot - because I don't want over-exposed the things around and the bokeh.
I shoot in sunset time - the light is soft and beautiful.
Always shoot in RAW to can get later the results I want in Lightroom/PS.

Before post processing I have this - it's a jpeg directly from RAW, just for example:

The above quoted examples by you is easier to be explain in some words about post-process -

From the RAW image in Lightroom get one file with well exposed skin of the human,
then get another file with well exposed bokeh and surrounding nature...

In PS work with layers and masks and you'll achieve the similar results. Some contrast, Soft Light Mode in layres, some sharp and Voila!

Hope being useful.

12-26-2011, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Absolutely agree. If you go through the Flikr shots you can see how in some shots the face and chest are much lighter than the arms. Either that or lightening in PP.

It's from the post-process. I love to have some vignette, that's why in the corners - and if the arms are near corners - are darker than the rest.
12-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ooo ... gorgeous pics .
12-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow....err did you know freesoul is a member here? Or was that just pure luck

Gorgeous shots, freesoul.

Ps: Johny depp, if you are reading this, i need to talk to you about some things for the next pirates.

edit: Aww, i cant read. I see you already knew freesoul was a member.

12-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Some of the best implementation of vignetting, freesoul
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Thank you for sharing that tips, your pictures are amazing. I've added you as a contact on Flickr.
12-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Wow....err did you know freesoul is a member here? Or was that just pure luck

Gorgeous shots, freesoul.

Ps: Johny depp, if you are reading this, i need to talk to you about some things for the next pirates.

edit: Aww, i cant read. I see you already knew freesoul was a member.
Yes I knew she was a member here hence why I asked.

Thanks Free Soul for sharing your Post Processing technique.

Photoshop, layers and masking is one thing I have no skill in, no matter how many times I attempt it Mayb I should give it another go...
12-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There is too much to know about photoshop...its very...general. There'd be learning on how to create brushes, how to create shapes, etc, etc...its easy to get overwhelmed then lost, especially when the things you learnt can't be applied to your pictures.

My advice about learning photoshop is to come in there knowing the specialization you'd like to learn, and ignore all others. Even when you specialize on just pictures there are a lot of things you will never need. My suspicion is that you'd probably be very happy knowing several concepts and use them on all your pictures :

- Layers window.
- Dodge/Burn tool
- Curves.
- Adjustment Layers --> Vibrance.

Just these 4 things (but you have to know them very well) - and ignore all others, and you should be able to get a picture like the one you wanted, provided that the raw shot you create looks like one freesoul creates (which is really, very well done). Photoshop still works with the old garbage in, garbage out . Do you have photoshop?
12-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks D4rknezz.

I'm not too bad with the curves and adjustments. Dodge/Burn I rarely use and Layers just blow my mind. This is the part I'm having major issues with.

Yes, I have Photoshop CS3.
12-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah okay. If you have a specific question feel free to PM me. Cheers
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes, how do I use Photoshop to get the results Free Soul achieved

I really need a tutorial on how to use layers to achieve that result. I'd imagine it has something to do with combining multiple exposures, but how do you isolate the areas for correct exposure within the layers themselves?

I hope I'm making sense.
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So pretty much this is like "exposure bracketing" shoot one picture in raw then get 2 to 3 or 4 pictures with different exposures(adjusted in lightroom). then combine them together to achieve the desired outcome.