Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Newborn artistic shots

We're going to have two births in the spring and I've been asked by both grandmothers (my sister, wife's aunt) to do artistic shots of the baby and parents. They are thinking about B&W shots on a black background with the parents wearing black. Then everything is done high-key. I've seen this done and when it's executed well, it looks great.

I have K10D, AF540, an older Pentax TTL flash, lots of lenses, 36" soft box, wireless flash triggers, and a black muslin background. I've started doing portraits in the last few months, but I'm looking for ideas for this one. Placement of lights, poses, settings, etc. I have a couple months, but I'm going to start experimenting now. If anyone has done anything like this, some pointers or web sites would be appreciated.

-E

12-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Be very careful with flash. Infant eyes are very sensitive as are mothers to having burned retina's.

(Not literally burned - but a crying baby due to too much flash - will cause untold hardships on the photographer)
Remember - flash --- HURTS --- and infants really get p*ssed off when they think their eyes are bleeding. Infants are startled by sudden noises and bright lights.

I would suggest that you use natural lighting - something and somewhere quiet - be sure to turn the on camera flash off.

Get close - fill the frame with the subject - spend some time talking to momma and the baby so they get used to you being there.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only brilliant suggestion I can come up with is to borrow some baby dolls and practice on them. Unless you have some of your own that is.....