Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 04:16 AM   #1

Cleaning help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to put this but I have noticed a couple of strange things, the first is a 'hair' in the top corner of SOME of my photos (regardless of which lens I use). Does anyone have any suggestions how to clean this off or where it may be? (I have no idea what makes up the insides of a camera but I'm guessing mirror or sensor?) It can be seen in this pic very clearly (I know there's a whole lot of other bits in this pic as the glass I was shooting through was dirty but in the top right there is a hair)

The second thing ist that sometimes there is 1 pixel not coloured in (in the pic below it is right in the middle of the 2nd 'tooth-like' pit). I was worried it was something faulty with my camera but its not in every photo, not in the same place in every pic and occurs with different lenses.. is it my computer? or any ides? this is less of an issue, its annoying cos im looking for it now but its not as obvious as the hair. I have been using very long shutter speeds (8-15sec to be able to get the shots) so I don't know if this may have something to do with it?

Any advice would be great, thanks

12-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's probably something on your sensor, but you should be able to get it out of there using a rocket blower.

The mirror is flipped up when shooting, so it's not that.

As for the second issue, make sure you have long shutter speed noise reduction turned on. There tends to be extra noise on long exposures to begin with.
12-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As far as cleaning the sensor goes, it's pretty simple. I use a Giottos rocket blower (the large one) and one of these brushes. They work very well. Here's a link to another post on how I use them.

The brushes & rocket blower work the best out of the various methods I've tried and it's fairly cheap. Cost for the blower and brushes only totals up to $30-$35. It's about as easy and painless as cleaning a lens.

Cheers & good luck,
Bobbo :-)
12-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
the blower should be used first, then if the spot remains use the Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, #O-ICK1, it works great.