Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 02:19 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Changing a monopod into a groundpod

To be honest my monopod has been rarely used but now I constructed an adapter to change it into a groundpod. It is made by aluminium for the body and two wheels from abuilding material market that are fixed with two screws.
Taking photos from the ground perspective is fairly easy and comfortable with that modification.
If you like to see more example photos from and made with my "frog-pod" just have a look here:

monopod-modification

01-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
that's awesome!
01-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This truly is quite a smart "gadget" !

I see that you are using a "Phottix" attachment so that you can see what you are aiming at.
How does this work? Is this a tethering-sort-of piece of equipment?
Where would one get this Phottix thing, and, also, are you going to produce this "groundpod" and sell it?

Very interesting!

JP
01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This truly is quite a smart "gadget" !

I see that you are using a "Phottix" attachment so that you can see what you are aiming at.
How does this work? Is this a tethering-sort-of piece of equipment?
Where would one get this Phottix thing, and, also, are you going to produce this "groundpod" and sell it?

Very interesting!

JP
thanks for your positive feedbacks

Phottix Hero is a rather limited tethering device. You have either a wireless liveview or "look" through the camera viewer with the camera of the transmitter (cropped and lower picture quality). The receiver has a shutter release button for focussing and taking the photo. Other adjustments are not possible.

The combination of my "groundpod" with the Hero is quite handy. It at least better than the zigview which is fixed at the camera viewer. The biggest disadvantage are the costs of the Hero. I don't know where you can purchase it in Canada. Maybe you get some information on phottix.com or simply "google" it.

It's not yet decided whether I will produce more "groundpods". Just now I have two prototypes. Material costs and producing are higher than I expected. Of course it would depend on the demand.

Andreas

01-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
This photo shows the ability of the Hero.
You can see the liveview as it is at the camera (it's me in our garden taking the photo of the camera + groundpod ).

The big button in the middle is the shutter release button, which works in the same way like the camera button. The three buttons below are:
1. a two second delay button
2. channel change button
3. adjustment of monitor brightness
All other adjustments have to be done at the camera itself. You see: tethering is limited

01-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

5 MacGyver points, what a great little build!
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nifty! That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. If I had $$$ to buy a Hero (no one even seems to sell them.) I'd totally build one of these.

01-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That looks like a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing some more dog's eye view photos.
01-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
@ mysticcowboy
that's defintely true . Walking with the groundpod also catches the attention of other people. It is similar to a children's toy: like a wooden duck at a stick with some wheels to be pushed here and there . But as stated before it is fairly comfortable to take shots from the frogview.
Last time I visited Meyerwerft shipyard and took some photos from below.
You can see some more of them here:
Photos from Visitors' Center - Meyerwerft shipyard, Papenburg/Germany
01-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andreasde Quote

It's not yet decided whether I will produce more "groundpods". Just now I have two prototypes. Material costs and producing are higher than I expected. Of course it would depend on the demand.

Andreas

Cool. Maybe it'd be cheaper to make the body from wood, though? You could turn a lot of those out of a table-leg blank, and just put whatever bearings in there that make sense. I bet a few might pay extra for the very cool aluminum, but you could get your quantities that way.
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andreasde Quote
This photo shows the ability of the Hero.
You can see the liveview as it is at the camera (it's me in our garden taking the photo of the camera + groundpod ).

The big button in the middle is the shutter release button, which works in the same way like the camera button. The three buttons below are:
1. a two second delay button
2. channel change button
3. adjustment of monitor brightness
All other adjustments have to be done at the camera itself. You see: tethering is limited
Congrats, very cool setup!

I'm wondering about the 2 sec. delay? since its on the end of a monopod, seems like one has to rely on a fast shutter rather than the 2 sec. delay - am i right?
01-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Congrats, very cool setup!

I'm wondering about the 2 sec. delay? since its on the end of a monopod, seems like one has to rely on a fast shutter rather than the 2 sec. delay - am i right?
You are absolutely right. For the use with the groundpod this button is useless. There is only the main button that makes sense. Unfortunately no other tethering features are inbuilt, but at least I needn't creep on the floor taking photos from this perspective .
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a master-piece!. Do you mind if I shamelessly copy your design?.

Cheers.