Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Year Long Exposure of the Toronto Skyline&Solargraphy

From the Toronto Star... using a pin hole camera, this is such a cool idea, I would love to experiment with something similar. At the top of the article there is a "comments' button and I browsed through what people had to say. Some tech talk and many people want to buy a copy for their wall!

Toronto News: Year-long exposure of Toronto skyline produces 'dreamy' image - thestar.com

Also, I learned there is a new form of photography called solargraphy... I am going to look into that as well.

From the comments page:

Solargraphy

this is an impressive example of Solargraphy, it is a relitively new type of photography but is being done all over the world. if you are interested have a look at the following websites.

Solargraphy by Marc & Jesse and

SolargraphyGallery - Welcome to Tarja Trygg

makes my imagination soar

01-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, inspiring. Also the topic of this thread.
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you also note that in those comments in The Star were some typical morons who couldn't see the point and claimed they could do better, quicker with a simple camera.

Pity the human race seems to have so many of these types.

I love the way that he actually used a sheet of photographic paper to record the image. No negative used and the scanner would destroy the image on the paper. No second chance on this photo!!!

Brilliant work.

Hmm, I do have some photographic paper and how hard can it be to make a pinhole camera!!
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Did you also note that in those comments in The Star were some typical morons who couldn't see the point and claimed they could do better, quicker with a simple camera.

Pity the human race seems to have so many of these types.
No, that's just the nature of the species. The pity is that these views get published...

Making a pinhole camera: not too difficult. Creating compelling images with a pinhole camera, now that's quite a trick.

01-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
No, that's just the nature of the species.
Oh thanks!! Now I feel REALLY depressed!
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Mr_Canuck

That is super cool, risky and artistic. Thanks for sharing. He also did a nice cropping of the image. A really interesting composition.
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Helped my daughter make a pinhole camera for a project when she was in grade school about 35 years ago.Had a darkroom back then.
Jake

01-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is extremely cool but the result is extremely ugly to look at, sadly.
01-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We laid awake discussing how to make our pin hole camera and where we might put it for a year. We have many vistas atop cliffs overlooking lakes and forests. I think with the changing seasons, the colours as they change and the sun's changing position we could create a very interesting and unique image, if it worked out. I don't know how he kept the snow off the opening. We will have to look into the details.

bdery, I think "ugly" is your subjective opinion. As with most art, it can be appealing or repulsive depending on your tastes. I love the image and all that it represents, including the process of destroying the original in order to make copies. Very intriguing theoretically and philosophically, as well, I just dig the pic!

cheers
01-05-2012, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Extremely ugly" implies highly unpleasant to look at, even revolting. Very far from my reaction to this image. Art should be beautiful, bearing in mind the essential difference between beauty and prettiness. This image is not pretty, I agree. But it achieves beauty, and I am glad to have had my attention directed to it. There is so much art (or should I say "art") about which I cannot say the same. And there is so much photography that achieves a high level of polish and prettiness but no beauty. This image is such a refreshing contrast to that.
01-05-2012, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
We laid awake discussing how to make our pin hole camera and where we might put it for a year. We have many vistas atop cliffs overlooking lakes and forests. I think with the changing seasons, the colours as they change and the sun's changing position we could create a very interesting and unique image, if it worked out. I don't know how he kept the snow off the opening. We will have to look into the details.

bdery, I think "ugly" is your subjective opinion. As with most art, it can be appealing or repulsive depending on your tastes. I love the image and all that it represents, including the process of destroying the original in order to make copies. Very intriguing theoretically and philosophically, as well, I just dig the pic!

cheers
I'm with you Tess. I've seen some really stupid comments about this piece online. I saw it in the star and was wowed. He has an etsy account setup and is selling a limited edition of 365 prints (so if you want one related to an event just figure out what day in the year it was. I'll take 196/365 if anyone wants to get me a birthday present