Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I'm predominantly left, but I often switch to my right, when the situation dictates i.e. it depends which peripheral side I'm monitoring. I'm left footed and right handed, so maybe that is why I'm comfortable viewing through either eye.

01-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Don't forget that the eyes are connected to two separate brain lobes. Both lobes deal with the world differently and so I'd be interested to know how creative the photographs were after switching eyes.
Ah this is quite interesting. I like to know about this too. I was going to follow up with some thoughts, but Wikipedia is down for today.
01-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I thought my lenses, then the camera were on the way out, turns out it was my eye, my right eye.
I switched to using the left eye which is noticably sharper for me, but not enough so that I've gone and got glasses to correct for the slightly blurry right eye. I went and got my eyes tested and they came out with left eye spot-on, right eye was the weakest prescription they could give me and I"ve been putting off getting glasses.
So, I switched right to left through choice, as even though the autofocus was telling me where it was focused and I trusted the camera as the images looked sharp on my screen - it just didn't sit right pressing that shutter when looking at a slightly out of focus image.
It took me a while getting used to holding the camera up to my left, and I'm naturally a right handed, right foot kind of person, it now comes naturally and feels like it has always been that way.
01-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your response and sorry to hear one of your eyes isn't working as well as it should. Both my parents wear glasses so I'm sure my days are numbered.

So have you found the switch difficult in terms of what you see (or aren't seeing now that your right eye is behind the camera) peripherally?

On a side note, I tried shooting for an hour with my right eye... man, my neck was sore!!! It's amazing how such a small change can make my body go into revolt. But towards the end, I was getting less dizzy and I was getting used to how to things looked. I know there are times when having more peripheral vision will be helpful so I think I'm going to keep trying to get more used to it even if I will remain primarily a left eye shooter.

01-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
Don't see any problem, if you easier to look into view finder with your left eye so look with left. It's like left hand people and right hand. I think that as in case of hands it can means that your brain works a bit different from the most of the people, may be you are more talented
01-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I'm left-handed and left-eyed, however, I do many things with my right hand, such as control the PC mouse and unlock doors (go figure!). Theoretically, we lefties are supposed to be more creative and artistic. A true leftie writes with the left hand and when writing, positions the hand the same as the right-handed ones (only in the left hand. duh.). If you see someone using the left hand but uses a crabbed almost upside-down hold on the pen, that one is not a true right-brained/left-handed person, but rather left-brained/left-handed person and thinks like a right-handed person. Watch President Obama; that's how he writes. All the recent US presidents were lefties, but I didn't pay attention to how they hold their pens.

Back to the camera, I shoot left-eyed and dial the controls and shoot with my right hand. I've tried using my right eye, but it feels un-natural. Hopefully, I'm more artistic!
01-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #37

The left brain/right brain thing is over blown in my opinion. In the same way that everyone is not right handed, that does not mean that everyone has the same wiring patterns in the brain. A left handed sports person does not play their game with more flair and creativity than a right handed player as an example. So alas, the creativity still requires us lefties to put as much effort into it as every other right handed photographer.

As for taking photographs, I can not see how keeping my left eye open while shooting with the right eye is advantageous because I am concentrating on what I am wanting through the lens. I prefer the 'tunnel' vision I get shooting left eyed, composing my shots, rather than be distracted by what else there might be. After the taking the shot, it takes hardly any effort or time to peer over the camera with both eyes to find something new to shoot.

However after being in the military for over 20 years, I can confirm that is better looking through my rifle sights with both eyes open, looking for target of opportunity. I have never been in a life and death scenario with my camera requiring such attention and my rifle sights are only 1.5X. Which the brain can tolerate easier in forming a combined picture in your head, unlike when you might have a large zoom lens attached to your camera.

02-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #38

I'm right eye dominate but shoot with my left eye. My left eye contact lens is weaker than my right. Because of this I've found that I can focus better with my left eye than I can with my right.