Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D photo series - mac / aperture / .mac

This is the first time I've requested a critique here or for someone to have a look at some web stuff I'm working on..

Background: I've owned a Mac computer for 4 days and Aperture for 1 day.

I created this 17 photo Web Gallery using iPhoto - .Mac Web Gallery Press Play!

And I also created this 17 photo Gallery using Aperture - Wales, United Kingdom - Page 1 (I like the info included when you click on a photo)

Which format do you guys like best? And, how are the photos?

12-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Your pics are great. Defintely the iPhoto format is better

What lens did you use?? What ISO did you mostly stay with??

I use only iPhoto...is aperture really worth the extra cost?

thanks
12-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I can see merrits of both displays Tom. I really enjoyed viewing the iPhoto display, but I appreciate the exif info in the Aperture display. I think they both would have their place.
12-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #4

Your photos are very good. I prefer the Iphoto layout and the info is available when you click the "i" button. I have a fast connection and the Iphoto display takes longer to load than the Aperture one. I have found that with my own .mac account.

I have switched to using a piece of Shareware for the Mac called Shutterbug. At the moment it does not preserve the EXIF data but the authors are working on adding it to the next version. I like the ease of adding a few photos and it only updates the changes.

There is also the Freeware software packages called Jalbum and Galerie that you might like to look at, both are Mac compatible.

Brian Kilpatrick
Introduction

Last edited by BrianK; 12-29-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
12-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First, thanks all.

rdrum76 - I used mostly ISO 100 for these shots and an aperture of between f4 and f8 - The lens used was the Pentax DA 16-45 - there are a few that might have been with the DA 50-200 and I think one shot was with a 70-300 Sigma but that one will be removed

LaRee - Thanks. I'm torn as well. The iPhoto display is super easy and looks great. I was not aware that you could get the EXIF data as well by clicking the i button which Brian pointed out.

BrianK - Thanks for the compliments and I will certainly look into the suggested programs. I find iPhoto just so darn easy, and it looks real good too! Something I'm a bit confused with is that when I'm working with Aperture I can export the html pages or simply upload them to my .mac account. I wish I could just upload them to the Web Gallery at my .mac account. That would save me the time of having to export the images to a place-holding folder and then importing them into iPhoto and finally uploading them to my Web Gallery..

Back to rdrum76 - I have no clue as to whether Aperture is worth the money yet. I did not pay for it, it was a gift but, it is quite an expensive piece of software to buy and not use. I suggest you get the Free Trial offer that Apple has on their website and try it out.

One thing Aperture is not, is a replacement for the GIMP. It is strictly a digital photo developing tool, yet it is the best I've used so far. It's done things with my photos that no other software could do, and that's in only one day of playing with it. I suggest it's definitely worth a try!
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BrianK - By the way, I checked out your pages and I must say, 'Welcome Bear' is one of my favorite shots. Very well done!

Almost forgot, LaRee, I see your Panasonic has done you well - some great shots you have there!

Last edited by Tom M; 12-29-2007 at 02:57 PM.
12-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #7

That was just a lucky shot as the sun was going down. I think I only had the kit lens at that time and I am not too happy with the focus.

I too use Iphoto to do most of my photo storage and sorting. I do not like to do a lot of post processing, I guess because my job used to involve a lot of computer work. I prefer to shoot and do minor adjustments in Iphoto. I am going to make an effort in the next year to develop better skills in photography.

I have run in to the same problem with Aperture. I wish Apple would get a standard interface from the .mac account to the applications. I think I added it up between Iphoto, Iweb, Imovie and Aperture, there are about 7 different ways to upload your files and they go to different areas on your .mac account.

Good luck with your Photography and Web efforts in the new year.

12-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch Brian.. As far as the Aperture thing is concerned, or any Apple 'iThing' that you can upload, all they need is a universal set of choices that are in each of their programs.. Instead of canning us into one or two, etc .. give us the options.. Web Gallery - Homepage, Etc, Etc (I forget already because I'm new to it all but, there are too many and they are not easily managed it seems - They should have an iWebcrap program that lets you manage all the places they store your stuff.. Then they could sell us an iWebcrapconsolidation suite (nicknamed StoolThickener)... Oh, the fun I will have with Mac.. They'll know me as 'the pirate', i i matey!