Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sharpness of K10D RAW Photos Kit Zoom vs Prime Lenses?

Am thinking of buying a K10D but am not impressed with the JPEG photos using the 18-55mm kit lens.

Has anyone tested the sharpness of their photos using the kit lens vs a good prime?

Am especially interested in how the FA31mm F1.8 compares to the kit (using RAW to minimize and degradation)! Pentax Lens Review Database - 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

Thanks

Steve

12-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do not have the FA 31 but I'd bet a prime lens costing $869 from B&H will be better than a lens with a street price of $100. I use my kit lens often, but don't expect miracles.
12-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ask an obvious question, get few replies, sorry.
12-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenDeLapp Quote
Am thinking of buying a K10D but am not impressed with the JPEG photos using the 18-55mm kit lens.

Has anyone tested the sharpness of their photos using the kit lens vs a good prime?

Am especially interested in how the FA31mm F1.8 compares to the kit (using RAW to minimize and degradation)! Pentax Lens Review Database - 31mm F1.8 AL Limited

Thanks

Steve
Drop into the lens test forum. You should see user reviews of all the lenses there. The kit lens is very good for what it is. It is far from perfect, but actually is one of the better kit lenses out there from any maker.

12-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tonight I had to make a decision to purchase and replace my 18-55 kit lens, or replace the Pentax 50-200 lens (that I just purchased used, and haven't yet received). I chose to get the 50-135mm. (I will be selling the 50-200 that I purchased from Sailrace if anyone is interested)

In cased you missed my line of thought, here is my reasoning: From all reviews of the kit 18-55 kit lens, it is pretty good. I decided to keep it and get the 50-135 instead of the 16-50mm. Before you pick a new lens, study the reviews on this site and others.

But, remember an investment in a lens will last much longer than an investment in a camera. I only say that because I keep forgetting this myself - and have to discover this again and again before I get it through my head.
12-30-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Steven,

I think I can help you out: I did a comparison between the kit lens and a prime some time ago. Prerhaps this could be of interest to you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/9750-some-conc...e-quality.html
12-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The 31 limited is one of the finest SLR lenses ever produced by anybody, anywhere, at anytime. The kit lens is, well... a kit lens. It does very well for what it is.

Your initial statement and then your request is a bit odd. You are saying that you are unimpressed with jpeg, but want this comparison in raw. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to look at some raw images produced by the kit? In any case, raw images need to be processed. So the final outcome is going to be dependent on the processor's skill and taste. The only way to really do this, is for you to do it yourself, with your own processing.

12-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have noticed some very nice photos over at Pentaxgallery, that had used the 18-55.

I have no idea what post processing may have been done, if any, but it seems to be a decent kit lens.

Dave
12-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenDeLapp Quote
I'm not sure what buying a camera has to do with the kit lens. You can buy the body and lenses separately.
12-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I am impressed with JPEGS and Raw images from the 18-55.
12-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forums Steve,

Sorry, but I'm a kit lens supporter.
I don't use it all that often any more, but when I do it usually amazes me.

It really doesn't mater what DSLR you use or what lens you choose you'll discover that the person behind the camera is more important than anything else.

The most expensive lens in my kit is a Sigma 135-400, which is an under $500.00 lens at todays prices.
My average lens cost me less than $50.00 used.

I don't think that there's a single person here who would say this reflects in my image quality.
Although I do admit that I haven't perfected my macro photography yet.
12-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Both my wife and I enjoy our kit lenses. We're not lens' purists... elitists as it were. I've sometime noticed that some (not all of course) who argue long and loud about the superiority of primes are also among those who seldom produce any images in the forum for us to examine. I'm not a resolution chart reader. I enjoy photography. I recognize that there are and always will be trade-offs. I opt for convenience and that means zoom lenses. While I understand that my zoom may not produce the same resolution numbers as your prime, I also don't have to lug around a bag full of primes, worry about missing the image while changing out the lens nor worry about dust getting on the sensor.

But getting back to the kit lens... I opted to purchase the body with the kit since it was so incredibly inexpensive. I've not regretted my decision for one minute.
01-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I really don't get these sort of questions. Just what is it about the jpegs you don't like? You should really point us to these jpeg images you don't like and then explain what it is you don't like about them. Are you suggesting a fault or is it just your subjective opinion?

I have seen stunning photos taken with the kit lenses of all models of cameras and the Pentax kit lens is right up with the best of them. I never had the Pentax Kit lens, as here in OZ they use the sigma lens for the kit, but i can say that the Pentax DA 16-45 was a huge step up in class from the Sigma.
I also have never shot with a K10D, still using my *istDS and I am happy with the jpegs although I do prefer to shoot raw.

Anyway , back to your question - If you are looking at ,and can afford, a 31ltd Prime and you are going to be shooting in raw - why are you worrying about jpegs taken with a kit lens?

Welcome to the Pentax Forums - Looking forward to your second post.
01-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, kind of a silly comparison. Of course the images from an FA31 will be "better", a word I use with VERY big quotation marks.

A better comparison would be with the DA 16-45, which as a zoom is a better comparison with the kit lens. It also happens to be a major step up from the kit, in my experience.
01-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
A better comparison would be with the DA 16-45, which as a zoom is a better comparison with the kit lens. It also happens to be a major step up from the kit, in my experience.
At 6X the price I would think so!

cheers,
Rick