Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Joe McNally and his Language of Light

Hi everybody,
I don't really know how each of You came in photography, it doesn't really matter, even if sometimes that is a really interesting story.
The interesting story for me is how each learned the science and the art of photography. I have downloaded a lot of video and books from internet. Watching and reading them was fun and educational. I can say that now, I feel more confident than 1-2 years ago. Anyway, I still feel that I want to learn and I realized that I want to do that with the help of only few people that I like the most. Here a few of them:
1. Joe McNally — the number one guy (at least for me at this level of experience).
2. Brian Peterson — the guy that shows You literally how to shoot with bare hands. ;-) You watch him and he creates an impression that You don't even need a camera to make great photography.

There is a video tutorial on Joe McNally's site "The Language of Light" (2 DVD Set) New for 2011. Did anyone bought it? These DVDs deserve 159.95$? What is the level? Any other information?

Thank You.
Marin

01-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Everybody is watching, reading and leaving. No answers. I will wait for the one I need.
01-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've watched the entire two disc set as well as read some of Joe's books. I will say this: it is hard to put a price on knowledge. There is as much info in this series as you might learn in a 201 college course on lighting, but, how much of it do you already know? I knew a fair amount about it going into this video course, so while it was great to see Joe actually working (he's one of my inspirations in my own photography), I wouldn't say I learned as much as I would have if I knew nothing going in. I'm finding that to be more and more the case with instructional books and videos, I'm to the point where I just need to put the theory into practice, and become my own teacher. This video series costs about as much and a decent quality manual flash, so, I think a fair question might be "Out of which product will you get more use?" For me, it's the manual flash, but it for you the answer may be different.

I've also watched most of the David Hobby series "Lighting in Layers". Both are great, Hobby does more manual flash, which is how I shoot, while McNally prefers the flexibility of iTTL (or is it eTTL for Nikon?) I suppose when you're shooting skateboarders out of the back of a moving van, TTL has it's advantages. Both chimp WAY too much for my taste, but who am I to criticize? I would say both courses cover roughly the same information, McNally's is just more succinct.
01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, maxfield_photo. Thank for being the first and maybe the only one. You are right about the equation between the video series and the manual flash. I read all McNelly's books, watched almost all he's videos and also watched almost all video series from David Hobby. Anyway, I still feel the hunger in learning. The question is: did You bought Joe McNelly's "The Language of Light", do You have the DVD's?

01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine owns them and I watched it with him. I will say there is enough information crammed into the videos that you could watch them several times and still not take it all in. If I had some money burning a hole in my pocket right now, I would consider purchasing the "Language of Light" series, unfortunately that is far from the reality of things, LOL.

On a side note, I get the impression that most Pentaxians are natural light shooters. Lots of birders, street photographers, wildlife, and macro shooters. I don't think we have many Strobists in our ranks. Perhaps that understandable when you consider the anemic flash controls of the Pentax system.
01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well. I try to became a strobist, I shoot stock and frequently shoot portraits and still life. Is there any chance of getting a copy or a RIP from that DVD?
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe you should subscribe to Kelby Training for a month or 2. That should keep you busy.

01-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Second on Kelby Training. Obviously it has Scott's work, but there are some McNalley titles, too. $25/month. One month will get you a good idea of what's available.
01-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #9

I do a lot of flash photography, but I learn by trying. Though I'm slowly realizing my limitations, especially when trying to do studio type shots of my kids, so i might try learning some more. But I find i really dont like most of the sample shots they show as results.

I did dabble in some event photography, but all that needs is pumping a lot of light (i have 4 flashes and 3 mono-lights).