Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
We were scheduled to do the inside passage on the Queen of the North in '06...but it sank a night or two before we were due to board, so this is one trip still on the 'to do' list.
OH MY!!!!!

12-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

There's no way I could choose.....so far everything fits in my backpack and the tripod straps to the outside.....momma would be complainin'...but...
12-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of things cross my mind here.

First, the 300 F4 does not have a tripod mount, and is not compatible with P-TTL flash metering of the K10.

I really like my 300 F4 but use it with a 1.7x AF TC on my *istD with TTL flash (AF500 FTZ). This is a 500mm F6.7 combination (a BIGMA is a little faster and may be a good Idea for you. I certainly would want at least one combo that got out to 500mm.

I would want a good flash to go with the long lens for some wild life. Again, you would need something like the AF540FGZ, but you need as a minimum a KA mount lens.

I like the suggestion from others on a monopod.

I note no back up body also.
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I note no back up body also.
I have a K-1000 body as a backup. (nothing to brag about - but is does the job) As to the 300 f/4 - it has a tripod mount!! So that isn't an issue. I realize that some of the lenses aren't compatible with the K1000, but the FAs and the 300 will work just fine in manual mode.

12-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

I'd bring every lens and TC in my sig; every one has a reason for being there with perhaps only the Tamron left home where I'd make due with the 50mm f/1.4 prime alone.

- The wide angle for landscape, and when I need to capture a lot in the frame.
- The fast 50 for general purpose shooting, night time flashless shooting, and a love of mine Milkyway shots. I'd consider buying the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 for the latter too.
- The Voigtlander for poential Macro, medium telephoto landscape shooting (I've seen snowy rocky mountain shots with it and the detail is fabulous), and portrait, and can use it with the 1.7x AF TC to give me 212mm and AF if I wish.
- The fast 300mm with or without TCs to make it a 420, 510 or 600 mm lens to zoom in on distant wildlife or scenery (ice formations; glaciers).
- definitely monopod if not tripod

GWP, Holy Cow! I say scratch that off yoour 'To Do' list for a less jinx'ed one. Galapagos? (that's what I want)
01-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #21
Forum Member

Having just come back from a cruise, I would suggest you bring at least:

- 18-55 for wide angle stuff such as the getting pictures of the pool and the ship etc.
- 50 f1.4 for indoor low light shots. You'll want to take close up pictures of your food under natural light because the food is amazing and you'll have magazine type shots of your food to drool over later.

Another suggestion is that all your lenses should have a UV filter for lens protection because as soon as your take your lens outside on the deck to take pictures, they'll be covered in salty sea water spray, especially if you're on the lower levels.

Last edited by sweetpapa; 01-01-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
01-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom, my wife and I just went on an Alaskan cruise in Sept. I'd definately recommend a looooong lens - I don't think your 300 is enough - I had a 100-300 and a 100-400 and used the long end almost exclusively - get a 1.4/1.5/1.7 teleconverter and that should take care of length. I also used my 16-45 a lot while on the ship. Took a tripod and monopod - only used the monopod (wanted the tripod for possible northern lights photos but we were "clouded out").

I also used a add-on flash quite a bit on the ship. If money is no object get the Pentax 540 or possibly the Sigma 530 (I think that's the model). If money is tight I'd suggest one of the "old style" Vivitar 285HVs - I used mine a lot more than I thought I would.

Having said all that - and reading what others have suggested - ANY lens combo you go with will get you a lifetime of memories!! Have a ball!!

01-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If I travel light, I take my K10D + 18-250mm + monopod + FA 50/1.4 with me.
Where the 18-250 is on the camera 99% of the time.

It covers the kitlens range at the same weigth and you will be able to shoot wildlife and it covers most of your marco needs. Great walk around lens!

Since you'll be travelling in summer, there will be a lot of light. No need for heavy big glasses.

If I need to travel very light and very small, only the Panasonic FZ5 Superzoom (Oops) plus spare battery goes in the bag.

- Bert
01-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
TI'd definitely recommend a looooong lens - I don't think your 300 is enough - I had a 100-300 and a 100-400 and used the long end almost exclusively - get a 1.4/1.5/1.7 teleconverter and that should take care of length. I also used my 16-45 a lot while on the ship. Took a tripod and monopod - only used the monopod.
Hmmm.... I was thinking about getting rid of my 400mm f6.3 lens, but maybe not... It isn't as fast as I would like (very lightweight though!), but it sounds like it will still have it's uses. Thanks for the tip on this!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I also used a add-on flash quite a bit on the ship. If money is no object get the Pentax 540 or possibly the Sigma 530 (I think that's the model).
If I bring my 50mm f1.4 or my 35mm f2, would you still recommend a high-powered flash?

Thanks to everyone for the tips! It really helps!
01-02-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
If I travel light, I take my K10D + 18-250mm + monopod + FA 50/1.4 with me.
Where the 18-250 is on the camera 99% of the time.

Thanks Bert,

I will look into the 18-250.

I am beginning to think that Paul is right about taking EVERYTHING!
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
If I bring my 50mm f1.4 or my 35mm f2, would you still recommend a high-powered flash?

Thanks to everyone for the tips! It really helps!
Tom, I used the flash for a lot of pics in the dining room - the cruise I was on had a formal dinner night and the entire dining room crew put on a huge show - all sorts of costumes, flaming this and that, chef hats for us, etc - lots of opportunities for neat photos - the flash gave me the ability to use f8 and even f11 to get a decent DOF. I hope you have a super time!!
01-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Tom,

Which Princess ship are you cruising on? My wife and I are sailing the Inside Passage (Seattle-Canada-Alaska-Seattle) on the Star Princess in early May. Glad you brought this question up as it will serve as evidence (for my wife) that I finally need to buy the Bigma. On other cruises I've used my 16-45 a LOT as well as the 50-200, but the Bigma sounds like it's gonna be a must have...
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Tom,

Which Princess ship are you cruising on? My wife and I are sailing the Inside Passage (Seattle-Canada-Alaska-Seattle) on the Star Princess in early May. Glad you brought this question up as it will serve as evidence (for my wife) that I finally need to buy the Bigma. On other cruises I've used my 16-45 a LOT as well as the 50-200, but the Bigma sounds like it's gonna be a must have...
We are going on the Golden Princess, leaving Seattle on July 26. We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria BC.

We have been on lots of Caribbean cruises, but never did an Alaskan cruise. For the Caribbean cruises, I haven't needed a long lens. Usually the kit zoom worked fine. But in this case, it looks like the longer and faster the better. The only problem will be weight and size. I may take my old, old 400 preset after all.

For an old, cheap lens - it is pretty darn sharp!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/4470/1_IMGP1329.jpg
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Hi Tom

Hope you have a fantastic cruise up to experience the spectacular coastal scenery of Alaska. For what it's worth, my wife & I went on our first cruise around the Baltic (Europe) about six years ago. The itinerary included Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Copenhagen & Amsterdam. At the time I only owned a Fuji S602Z digital 'bridge' camera and thought that it's 6 x optical zoom of 35mm - 210mm (in 35mm film terms) might be sufficient. The end result was I almost ended up pulling out what little hair I still had left with sheer frustration, because believe you me 210mm has nowhere NEAR enough reach when you're stood on the deck trying to capture the finer points of the passing coastline in sufficient detail. Avoid 'digital-zoom' like the plague.....euch !! Fast forward three years to our second cruise which took us northwards around the coast of Norway well above the Arctic circle for 2 weeks. This time I took along a Panasonic FZ20 digital 'bridge' camera whose Leica lens covered an amazing optical range between 36mm - 420mm (in 35mm film terms) with the added advantage of built-in Image Stabilisation. It's one of the most disconcerting experiences trying to peer through this camera's less-than-wonderful 'electronic' viewfinder whilst the horizon constantly 'jiggles' all over the place, but somehow the stabilised results turned out pin-sharp.
Perhaps you can begin to understand why I placed such a high value on the K10D's built-in Shake Reduction facility when eventually purchasing this DSLR, but I can't help thinking that the coverage of either Tamron's or Pentax's variant of their respective 18-250mm Di II (27.5mmin - 375mm in 35mm film terms) superzoom would suit most of your needs ? However, I would definitely advise obtaining some form of separate external flashgun, as the internal one in the K10D is pretty feeble when taking photos in restaurant scenarios etc. One of those clip-on *Stofen diffusers would also come in handy when attempting to soften the harsh effects of direct light from the flash itself ? Finally, don't forget to include some UV/Skylight filters to afford the frontal elements of your precious lenses some much needed protection from the inevitable sea-spray. Hope this info helps somewhat......

Stofen Omni Bounce

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-02-2008 at 04:02 PM.
01-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My wife & I did the Alaskan cruise in June as part of our honeymoon after marrying in Las Vegas - we had fantastic weather & have to say I think it's probably going to be the best holiday we'll ever have, scenery is awesome !!

Just slightly off topic but I have some "must do" recommendations....

Whale watching from Juneau - humpback whales everywhere, incredible !!

Rail trip / flightseeing from Skagway - the flightseeing was absolutely spectacular !!

Back on the photography now...

I often found I needed to go from wide angle to zoom quickly (glaciers, icebergs, mountains to bald eagles flying overhead/brown bears wandering around) & if I were to do the trip again (which I probably will) I would seriously consider something like the Tamron 18-250.

Whilst perhaps sacrificing some image quality (although not much by many accounts) the chance to catch both passing scenery & wildlife quickly will be invaluable - I missed several opportunities due to lens changes !!

Have a fantastic time,

simon