Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens magnification and reproduction ratio

I'm confused on what these terms mean, and how they relate to what you will see if you were to look through the viewfinder or compare the photo's side by side without being cropped from the same camera with two lenses of the same focal length but different magnification and reproduction values.

Lets use these two as an example using B&H's values under the specifications tab
Pentax SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens 21760 B&H
Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Pentax 195109 B&H

Could somebody describe what is going to be different between between the two regarding these values?

02-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reproduction ratio and magnification should theoretically be the same.

The reproduction ratio is a ratio of the size of the image to the size of the subject. So, if you have 0.5x magnification, your reproduction ratio would be 1:2, I believe. On the B&H site they would quote this as "2.00". Another example: 0.25x magnification would be 1:4.

With non-macro lenses, the maximum magnification basically depends entirely the minimum focusing distance. The Sigma has a maximum magnification of about 0.14x (the number B&H lists, 0.01x, is wrong), while the Pentax is closer to 0.20x. Technically this means that you can stand closer to your subject when shooting it with the Pentax, meaning it will take up more of the frame. But since with tele lenses, the whole idea is to be able to be far away, these numbers really don't matter. Sure, a minimum focusing distance of 1.4m vs 2.5m is more convenient (and that's thanks to a different optical design), but then on the other hand you've got a slower aperture.

Macro lenses, on the other hand, generally have magnifications of 1.00x and reproduction ratios of 1.00, meaning that your print will be life-size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That is what I wanted to know, thanks!
02-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Reproduction ratio and magnification should theoretically be the same......
Macro lenses, on the other hand, generally have magnifications of 1.00x and reproduction ratios of 1.00, meaning that your print will be life-size.

I'm sure Adam meant to say the image on the sensor will be life-size for magnification/reproduction ratios of 1:1

Magnification on print = ReproductionRatio(PrintWidth/SensorWidth) = (magnification on sensor)(enlargement)

Last edited by newarts; 02-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.
02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

MAGNIFICATION is what happens at the sensor.
ENLARGEMENT happens in the display or print.

I must say that I've rarely run across the term "Reproduction Ratio", probably because it's rather ambiguous. Or maybe I'm just out of touch or sloppy or demented. But here's how I think of it:

Magnification is the ratio of the subject to the recorded image. Let's say I aim a Spotmatic at a ruler. The Spotty's frame is 36mm wide. If I shoot an in-focus picture that captures just 1-36mm, it's 1:1 (1x). If it captures 1-72mm, it's 1:2 (0.5x). If it captures 1-18mm, it's 2:1 (2x).

Enlargement is the ratio of the displayed image to the recorded image. If I take a FF (full-frame, 36x24mm) Spotty frame and make a contact print, it's 1:1. If I make a print (or project onto a screen) so it's 36cm wide, it's 10:1 (10x). If 3.6m wide, it's 100x, etc.

Reproduction Ratio could refer to either Magnification (how the image is captured) or Enlargement (how the image is displayed). I prefer the more specific terms. I'm picky about that.
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right- it's the image on the sensor. It all boils down to capturing more detail!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But since with tele lenses, the whole idea is to be able to be far away, these numbers really don't matter.
I must disagree. The short minimum focus distance of the DA* 200 and 300 lenses is a great feature. The point of a tele is to magnify the image, whether the subject is near or far. A couple of months ago I was doing hand-held shots of hummingbirds and the DA* 200 was perfect, as I was sometimes able to approach its minimum focus distance of about 4 feet, while the relatively short focal length made tracking and focusing on these fast-moving birds easier than it would have been with a longer lens from farther away.