Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Favorite photography books.

What is on your list of favorite photography books?

Either 'art books' or 'how to' techniques.

02-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Understanding Exposure Bryan Peterson
Light Science & Magic Hunter, Biver & Fuqua
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Ansel Adams

I like the Ansel Adams series, in film photography I believe they are unmatched.
02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I just recently got Behind Photographs by Tim Mantoani, which I must admit I'm really enjoying.

It's of a beautiful quality and quite a large book (11"x14", 208 pages), which at $60.00 I didn't consider expensive.

Behind Photographs - Tim Mantoani - Official Website

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.
02-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 Hnrclay, on the Ansel Adams books.
I happen to have learned a lot and still refresh with more often than not, is the Time-Life Series on Photography.

As for "art books", I guess that is more personal and to each person's eye.
There is a lot to view and digest.
But what to comes to mind immediately and that I have enjoyed much of is what the Farm Security Administration photographers did in their time.
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Understanding Exposure Bryan Peterson
Light Science & Magic Hunter, Biver & Fuqua
I would second these 2 and add “Designing a Photograph” by Bill Smith and “The Keepers of the Light” by William Crawford. For the Keepers of the Light mostly part I as it gives an excellent primer on history/understanding photograph systems and there limits. The other 2 parts are good but more history of how to use different darkroom methods that in the digital darkroom mostly give one an appreciation of what others went though for the art.

DAZ
02-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

On Photography by Andreas Feininger.

02-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love Bahman Farzad's book on the zone system: http://www.amazon.com/Confused-Photographers-Photographic-Exposure-Simplified/dp/0966081714
02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

I would recommend any of the books written by Freeman Patterson. Freeman Patterson : Books

Regards
02-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
On Photography by Andreas Feininger.
+1. He was a hell of a photographer. Love his work.
02-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I found the composition of the photos in "Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century " inspirational. It's not a how to book, but definitely one to train the eye.
02-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The Photographer's eye my Michael (I think) Freeman. The best tome on composition I have seen. I still learn from it even though I've had it for three years.
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
I have enjoyed much of is what the Farm Security Administration photographers did in their time.
"introducing America to Americans" , Funny you should mention this as I just read a book about this a few months ago. It gave a bio on some of the most famous photographers and some of their most evocative images of the time. Be good if I could remember the title. Some of the most iconic images of the depression with the story behind them. Left me wanting to see more.
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Each new book I buy becomes my favorite. I'm currently loving David duChemin's Photographically Speaking. 5 stars.
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
"introducing America to Americans" , Funny you should mention this as I just read a book about this a few months ago. It gave a bio on some of the most famous photographers and some of their most evocative images of the time. Be good if I could remember the title. Some of the most iconic images of the depression with the story behind them. Left me wanting to see more.
Good deal, Bruce.
The FSA had some great work. Review, let it sink in and learn. There are number of books out there. And many of the photographers associated with that outfit (Dorothea Lange, Gordon Parks, and Walker Evans, among many others) offered a lot later in the century.

You are right "Under Roy Stryker, the Information Division of the FSA adopted a goal of "introducing America to Americans." Many of the most famous Depression-era photographers were fostered by the FSA project." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Security_Administration

There is this anthology http://www.amazon.com/Likes-Us-Photography-Security-Administration/dp/1567923402

This other one. http://www.amazon.com/FSA-American-Vision-Gilles-Mora/dp/0810954974

I am partial to Roy Stryker's later efforts with Standard Oil of New Jersey.(this my own entry point into the whole effort)
"Stryker's work at Standard Oil of New Jersey lasted from 1943 to 1950 and was the "largest photographic documentation project ever undertaken in America by anyone other than the federal government."
http://www.clpgh.org/exhibit/photog14.html

But there are many more to choose from.

Of the many photographers who worked under him, I've always liked John Vachon and Esther Bubley.

Last edited by Jools; 02-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.