Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #1

Need info on an old book I'm interested in.

I'm looking at a book entitled, "The Ashai Pentax Way" by H. Keppler.
(ISBN 0240508890) published in 1976.

I would like to know the table of contents of the book.

IF you have this book, can you tell me something about it?
Do you like it? Can you give me some info on what type of information
it has in it?

I use a Pentax 6x7 and I wonder if this book gives any information
regarding this camera.

Thanks,

Steve

01-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon has it starting from a buck ninety. What do you have to lose? (Other than a buck ninety, I mean).
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I just want to know something about the book.

Steve
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Me too. Looks interesting.

01-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spb854 Quote
I'm looking at a book entitled, "The Ashai Pentax Way" by H. Keppler. (snip)

Well, that's certainly going back some, Steve. I had a copy of this book sometime in the late 80's and it was out-of-date then. Anyway, the book "The Asahi Pentax Way" (Herbert Keppler - Peterson's PHOTOgraphic Magazine, etc) was written sometime in the mid-60's and revised several times through roughly the early 80's (your 1976 edition isn't the most recent).

It's primarily a general photography book, listing only in passing some of the earlier, mostly screw-mount, Pentax cameras (summary of features, etc). Of course, when talking about photography in this case, I'm referring to film photography from the 70's and early 80's. Virtually every product mentioned in the book (film, light meters, flash units, etc) was discontinued decades ago and very little about general film photography from that many years ago relates all that well to digital photography today.

Regardless, as Mike said, it's not too difficult to find inexpensive copies, so the book might be worth a casual look just to see what photography was then and how things have changed since. But, beyond that, the book really isn't going to offer much.

By the way, while medium format cameras may have been mentioned in passing, I don't remember any in-depth coverage. In fact, I don't remember in-depth coverage of any camera.

stewart
01-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I happen to have one & agree with Stewart - Keppler cranked out essentially the same book on Nikon for example. But then, photographic principles and techniques are the same regardless of brand, no? There are a couple of chapters on Pentax model history, and an overview of the major accessories and lenses. Mine's from the time the first Spotmatic was just introduced.

If you want a better Pentax specific book, equipment/history wise, you could try to find "Asahi Pentax and Pentax SKR 35mm Cameras 1952-1989" by Danielo Cecchi. It's a Hove collector's guide.

I just got this following book for Christmas, and it is EXCELLENT on many levels- talks in depth about many photographic topics, has a ton of useful info, a good lighting tutorial, and loads of multi page ads. This book for me is a better photography manual than Keppler's book.

01-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Steve,

I've got this book, and if you don't have the info by the end of the day, I'll fire off a PM with the TOC. I don't recall much info on the 6x7 but will take a gander.

Ror

01-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the Keppler was written before the 6x7, and I doubt even the editions after the 6x7 would focus on it - the attention was on the 35mm format. My edition predates the 6X7 I think.

I did a quick look at old NY Times articles, and this may interest you, from a survey of photography books dated Nov 13, 1977: the book is "Himalayas" by Shirakawa, there's a section in the book about the equipment used, "His principal cameras were Asahi Pentax, 6x7 and 35mm, with a variety of lenses."

LOL I suppose that wasn't too helpful!
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the 1970 edition . Costs me 4 bucks . All M42 info up to the Spotmatic . Not a bad reading .