Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm stuck at the "I Suck" level.....never got past it. So I got me a little X10, shoot 6mp EXR Jpegs, use the Scene Modes and have improved 100%. I look at my K5 on the shelf and think "what if"....but know better!
Regards!

03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #32
Forum Member

I just bought an old film camera so this made me laugh. I was so excited I bought film right away and put it in and now I'm just hoping I didn't put it in wrong lol! I hope my photo quality follows the graph!
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I don't see the "all my friends say I have a good eye." stage.. I encountered it once with a person who had her spouse set the controls. then take pictures with her "good eye." At one point I suggested a basic photography course where she learned how to use the camera might benefit her. The spouses eye's lit up.. but then went back to blank as she explained she really wasn't interested in that "part" of it.
03-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Firmly stuck in the "HDR hole" and I like it there!

03-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
TMB

Just got a film camera. Wow....that means I am better than I thought Good thing I am not really interested in HDR.
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Has anyone noticed an inverse correlation between camera complexity and picture significance? Has anyone experienced that when they had a simple P&S they shot interesting pictures, and that as they got better and better cameras, the images become more boring? Do simpler cameras allow for more spontaneity, while more sophisticated gear makes us slow down and lose our edge? Or is it just a case of "the older I get, the dumber I get" ??
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #37
TMB

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Has anyone noticed an inverse correlation between camera complexity and picture significance? Has anyone experienced that when they had a simple P&S they shot interesting pictures, and that as they got better and better cameras, the images become more boring? Do simpler cameras allow for more spontaneity, while more sophisticated gear makes us slow down and lose our edge? Or is it just a case of "the older I get, the dumber I get" ??
Depends on what/why you are shooting. If you are going for the "in the moment" lomo-effect...maybe. Slowing down does not equal "losing edge" for me; it means being more deliberate and thoughtful. I also feel more inclined to get up close to things, lay down, and contort myself with my "sophisticated gear." Now, on the other hand, taking a point and shoot on a mountainbike excursion will yield more "interesting" pictures simply because I will use it more and not have to stop the ride, set up, etc. Different tools for different situations. Also, I don't agree that P&Ss are "simpler." Much easier to walk around with my K20 on AV mode at hyperfocal distance than it is to try and find which "scene mode" is appropriate and guessing whether myP&S is focusing on the intended subject.

03-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I actually hang out in /cgl/ more than anything there...

I used to whip out the P&S all over the place, and now I seem to pull out the DSLR less and less, unless I am planning on doing a hike to take pictures. I've also noticed I feel my pictures are not as good as they once were, so I delete most of them. I tried HDR, buuuuut.... Yeah, didn't work out too well. I've also found I am not satisfied with anything other than manual on my K5. The other modes suck.

I think I am in the "my pictures suck" space.
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Not sure if this has already been posted, but I found this image while going through Reddit. I thought it was pretty funny. I think I'm in the "Damnit, I suck" stage.
Found myself in the "Damnit, I suck" stage, too
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
Found myself in the "Damnit, I suck" stage, too
Still in that stage. Took some pictures yesterday. Just about every photo I took left me thinking, "I suck at this." The photos that didn't give me that impression were only met with, "Eh... This one's ok."

I was a lot more impressed with myself when I first got my camera.

Ignorance is bliss. My sister in law just got a dslr and has been taking pictures of clouds with it. She practically holds a gallery opening for every cloud she takes a picture of. I remember when I used to get that excited.
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I found this image while going through Reddit. I thought it was pretty funny. I think I'm in the "Damnit, I suck" stage.
True story. I guess I'm also currently in the gearfaggotry stage, and hoping to get away from it lol
03-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #42
TMB

My sister in law just got a dslr and has been taking pictures of clouds with it. She practically holds a gallery opening for every cloud she takes a picture of. I remember when I used to get that excited.

But I bet she enjoys her new hobby When you are new, everything is interesting and you want to shoot everything. I am at the point where I am discouraged from taking photos on a daily basis because all I can think it "unoriginal; been shot a thousand times before; no meaning to it; boring." My "keeper" ratio has declined substantially, as I don't even bother downloading half of my captures.....I generally find something wrong with the other half. At some level I have a feeling of , the more I know, the less enjoyment I am getting.
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TMB Quote
But I bet she enjoys her new hobby When you are new, everything is interesting and you want to shoot everything. I am at the point where I am discouraged from taking photos on a daily basis because all I can think it "unoriginal; been shot a thousand times before; no meaning to it; boring." My "keeper" ratio has declined substantially, as I don't even bother downloading half of my captures.....I generally find something wrong with the other half. At some level I have a feeling of , the more I know, the less enjoyment I am getting.
Yep. Right there with you.