02-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sports Photography at SI

A very interesting video on sports photography at SI

02-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Interesting that you posted this. I actually emailed Damian Strohmeyer (strohfoto@aol.com) a couple of months ago after looking at an SI picture. You can check out his website as well with some awesome pics Boston Sports Photographer Damian Strohmeyer.

I asked him what settings he uses for night sports photography and he said he shoots in RAW (of course), typically won't go above 2500 ISO, tries to fill the frame with the image to avoid unnecessary cropping and uses f2.8 to f4.0 which also is no surprise. He also mentioned when he shoots for SI, he doesn't post process - that SI does that. Imagine, just taking and uploading the photos and letting someone else do the processing! He also said he tries to keep shutter speed at 1/640 to freeze the action. To me, you have to have a 2.8 lens wide open and a higher ISO to get a good exposure at 1/640 at night.

After getting his email, I began to look more closely at all sports images and you definitely can see the noise of the high ISO in the photos on most. Now I just need to get a 200mm 2.8 !
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
After getting his email, I began to look more closely at all sports images and you definitely can see the noise of the high ISO in the photos on most. Now I just need to get a 200mm 2.8 !
I found your post interesting, but the above is interesting in that you apparently didn't consider the noise until you read the settings he had. Stepping back, this seems to be one of the first things people look for in evaluating images, at least it is one of the first things I look for (after focus and sharpness). Heck before I read your sentence above, I was wondering the same thing, and I hadn't even looked at the link above or any photographs.

I hate that I tend to obsess over noise in my photos, yet when I step back most photos these days are just fine noise-wise.