Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

B&H Photography

I ordered a Pentax DA 40mm limited from B&H Photography for $269. B&H assured me it was not a grey market, imported, or a refurb. It's brand new under US warranty.

How is B&H and other online companies able to offer this price below what Pentax online ($399) sells it for.

I've ordered from B&H before with no issues.

Dan

01-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Normally, like just about every other product, there is an inflated manufacturer's "list" price used as a basis for calculation of....a normal "street" price that you and I pay. Dealer/retailers buy at some percentage off list price to get the dealer price. Add some percentage back on for the profit to the dealer...and there you go.
01-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Normally, like just about every other product, there is an inflated manufacturer's "list" price used as a basis for calculation of....a normal "street" price that you and I pay. Dealer/retailers buy at some percentage off list price to get the dealer price. Add some percentage back on for the profit to the dealer...and there you go.
And Pentax will not sell at a price that will undercut their dealers. Direct from the manufacturer is seldom, if ever, at less than MSRP.
01-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And B&H is a very reputable dealer. I'd say that I trust B&H and Adorama the most when it comes to photo stuff.

01-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #5

I would just double check your lens when you get to make sure it is NOT grey market!

B&H has done this in the past before numerous times, you can read alot over @ Dpreview if you can find the thread where everyone posted in it. I, personally, got shafted on multiple lenses by B&H. Purchased USA lenses and ended up with grey market 90day/1yr (forget which off hand now) warranty lenses. B&H never made it right either and they had my $$$ & lenses for over 2mths. Finally, after threatening them with civil and criminal legal action(s) I received my lenses back!

Many folks have great experiences with B&H, but when it comes to returning things or the like, beware! I no longer shop with them and stick with other reputable dealers, like Adorama, who have excellent customer service.. they are often cheaper then B&H anyways!
01-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
Many folks have great experiences with B&H, but when it comes to returning things or the like, beware! I no longer shop with them and stick with other reputable dealers, like Adorama, who have excellent customer service.. they are often cheaper then B&H anyways!
I've had nothing but positive experiences with B&H, including a return. On the other hand, I've had more than one bad experience with Adorama.

However, unlike the vast majority of on-line camera 'stores', both of them are reputable and one anecdotal complaint should be taken as just that.
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by sunsetdp Quote
I ordered a Pentax DA 40mm limited from B&H Photography for $269. B&H assured me it was not a grey market, imported, or a refurb. It's brand new under US warranty.
How is B&H and other online companies able to offer this price below what Pentax online ($399) sells it for.
I've ordered from B&H before with no issues.
Dan
Thanks for your purchase. The new SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 lens you purchased is not grey market, imported, or a refurb. It's brand new & under US warranty. While we do carry some items in both grey market and USA-warranted versions, it happens we haven't hads this lens in the grey market version in stock in a looooooong time.

We're able to offer the prices we do because our buying power is prodigious. We buy in substantial quantity and we tend to buy more esoteric accessory items to augment our basic camera/lens/flash inventory. As a result we get very favorable prices from our suppliers and pass them on to you.

01-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
We're able to offer the prices we do because our buying power is prodigious. We buy in substantial quantity and we tend to buy more esoteric accessory items to augment our basic camera/lens/flash inventory. As a result we get very favorable prices from our suppliers and pass them on to you.
Mr. Posner - you run an excellent, eclectic organization and I am happy to say that it is always a stop when I am in New York. I sincerely thank you for it.
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
B&H Photo Representative

I would just double check your lens when you get to make sure it is NOT grey market!
Checking your merchandise when it arrives is ALWAYS a good idea, but since we only have the SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 in the US-warranted version, the OP can anticipate his lens' arrival with confidence.

QuoteQuote:
B&H has done this in the past before numerous times, you can read alot over @ Dpreview if you can find the thread where everyone posted in it.
You can read plenty about B&H in dpreview and we are proud to note that the vast majority of posts you'll find there about us are laudatory.

QuoteQuote:
I, personally, got shafted on multiple lenses by B&H. Purchased USA lenses and ended up with grey market 90day/1yr (forget which off hand now) warranty lenses. B&H never made it right either and they had my $$$ & lenses for over 2mths. Finally, after threatening them with civil and criminal legal action(s) I received my lenses back!
I am happy to refute this in its entirety. I went through every one of your orders dating back to 2004. Your complaints were about Sigma brand lenses. We do not and have never sold "grey market" Sigma brand lenses. Not ever. You purchased US-warranted lenses and received US-warranted lenses and got your lens back after returning it to us because you asked for it back. You pay for a lens, we ship a lens. You return it, we issue a credit. You want to repurchase it, you pay for it and we ship it. Simple as that.

QuoteQuote:
Many folks have great experiences with B&H
Thank you.

Last edited by henryp; 01-07-2008 at 11:49 AM.
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

B&H Henry, quick question for ya..

That killer Nikon lens you guys have for sale.. Who owned it before you? Just curious. Thanks.

Also, would it be possible for you to just send me a DA 14mm? If you 'give' me one, I'll swing by your stores and take some nice images for you. I noticed the image of your store in the last catalog didn't do it any justice so, I'd like to barter. Images for a lens.
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I've had nothing but positive experiences with B&H, including a return.
Same here. I don't even bother looking anywhere else these days. The peace of mind I get from dealing with B&H far outweighs any slight savings I might get by shopping elsewhere, IMHO. I appreciate the sales staff's patience, too. I can only imagine how bad they probably want to tell me, "Just spit it out!" when taking an order over the phone from this southern guy. LOL
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Forum Member

I have always had positive experiences with B&H. My last purchase was placed early in the week before Labor Day weekend hoping the delivery would be on Friday. I ordered my K10D, battery grip, extra battery and an AF-540FGZ flash. The order did not process or ship for a couple of days and I pretty much wrote off getting it by Friday. Much to my surprise when the order was processed they shipped it next day air at no additional cost to me! That is customer service in my book. I was able to use the camera on my daughter's visit while she was home on leave from the Air Force that weekend. I will continue to take my business there.
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote

I am happy to refute this in its entirety. I went through every one of your orders dating back to 2004. Your complaints were about Sigma brand lenses. We do not and have never sold "grey market" Sigma brand lenses. Not ever. You purchased US-warranted lenses and received US-warranted lenses and got your lens back after returning it to us because you asked for it back. You pay for a lens, we ship a lens. You return it, we issue a credit. You want to repurchase it, you pay for it and we ship it. Simple as that.

Thank you.
Refute.. lol. The lenses I received WERE in FACT Grey Market lenses, confirmed by Sigma themselves via the serial numbers! First off, Sigma grey market have a sticker for the serial instead of a engraved plate. Secondly, Sigma USA lenses come with a USA 3yr. Warranty Extension Card in the box as well that had to be mailed to Sigma within 30 days of purchase. My lenses, read lenses.. not just 1, all had stickers for serial numbers and NO USA warranty cards. I got my lenses back after 2mths.+ of fighting on phone calls and finally threatening to go to the Attny. General's Office and file criminal & Civil charges against B&H unless they A. Refunded my $$$ or B. Sent me my lenses back! Until then, I was given the run-a-round for months, hung up on constantly, etc. All the time I was being polite & professional handling the situation. So, considering you can not even get the situation, and amount of lenses, straight, you obviously have no clue which/what situation I am referring to! Not to mention, I never said it was after 2004, now did I!? Not to mention, throughout the entire situation your store was rude and ignorant to both my Wife and myself the numerous times we called in! Not very good customer service to hold a Pro's lenses so long costing them rental fees either!

You can refute what you want Henry, but that does not change what actually happened!

I didn't even mention the few other screw overs... Strobes that were advertised as user changeable bulbs that turned out to be unchangeable.. they burn out to the trash they go apparently. Trouble Ticket filed about it, never did get a response, but the description on the website was mysteriously changed within 48hrs.

Not to mention mysterious losing of Used Products purchased that I was not even informed that were not coming on the order and whether or not I still wanted the order!? But yet the same product(s) show back up/in stock on your website for sale at a higher price within 24hrs.... things that make you go hmmm... I even had to go to the BBB about that mess and you STILL NEVER took care of it! Numerous calls made all which went unanswered and/or unreturned!

If you do some searching on Dpreview and Resellerratings.com you will find quite a few others have had the same experiences as I have, the proof is out there, and both there in plenty.

By all means, shop where you want, I would never tell anyone not to! All I am saying is be cautious!

Not to mention there are plenty of stores out there with better prices too.

Everyone has different experiences with Stores.. as mentioned above.. I have always had great luck with Adorama.. super above & beyond customer service with no questions asked returns/exchanges too. Yet, someone else has had nothing but bad experiences!

Just like many have had nothing but great experiences with B&H, yet I have had nothing but bad with them, sadly.
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
B&H Photo Representative

Refute.. lol. The lenses I received WERE in FACT Grey Market lenses, confirmed by Sigma themselves via the serial numbers!
This is simply untrue. As I said, B&H does not and has never sold "grey market" Sigma merchandise.

QuoteQuote:
I got my lenses back after 2mths.+ of fighting on phone calls and finally threatening to go to the Attny. General's Office and file criminal & Civil charges against B&H unless they A. Refunded my $$$ or B. Sent me my lenses back!
You got your merchandise "back" when you asked for it back and the matter of payments and refunds/credits was straightened out.

QuoteQuote:
If you do some searching on Dpreview and Resellerratings.com you will find quite a few others have had the same experiences as I have, the proof is out there, and both there in plenty.
Feel free. Our Reseller's page is here, for any and all to see and we're proud we're consistently above 9/10 and consistently earn their coveted Gold, Platinum and Platinum-Plus rank.
01-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Ed in GA

The only issue I've ever had with B&H was a used winder that I Purchased. It was listed as an MX winder and when it arrived it was actually an ME winder.

A phone call to B&H customer service was all it took. B&H issued a UPS pick up order, I shipped it back and they refunded my money immediately and absorbed all of the shipping charges.
Closed Thread