Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Arizona Pentax workshops

I am wondering if anyone knows of any workshops in Arizona that are specific to the Pentax camera. I am fairly new to a SLR and have read many books, but I learn best "hands on"

Thanks for any help

01-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jenn,
Your best bet is to talk to your local camera shop.

The one that I deal with has workshops from time to time, to help inspiring new photographers out.

If they don't they might know someone whom will give you a couple of lessons.
01-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #3

I don't think you'll have much luck. I used Google and didn't find much and what I did find were cruises and I think the photo workshop was a gimmick to increase bookings. If I were doing camera specific workshops, it certainly wouldn't be Pentax. I like my Pentax camera but in five years I've seen one tourist here with a Pentax DSLR.

Some other suggestions. It's been years since I was in a camera club but when I was I was a rank beginner and got lots of help from older photographers who were happy to share.

If you have a nice camera store with a bulletin board you can post a notice looking for other, hopefully more experienced, Pentax users. When I visit the U.S. I usually go to Salt Lake City and as of my last visit, 2006, there wasn't a photography store that carried Pentax DSLRs.

I took the CD with the manual to a Kinko's equivalent and for about $5 I had it printed 8.5x11 and bound. I could read it easily, mark it with highlighers, and found it much more useful than the little printed manual.
01-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #4

I would also be very interested in a users group or workshop in AZ (Phoenix area). There are several forum members in the Phoenix area. Maybe Mo or Ole would like to consider the possibilities. User groups are great for gaining and sharing knowledge about our preferred brand of camera.

There are some camera clubs in the area but it seems they are mostly interested in photo competition. At least that was my impression when looking at their websites. Probably not a Pentax owner among them but I could be wrong.

01-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the irony...

I am the only Pentax user on the Photo Society board, and probably the only person who teaches classes that uses Pentax in our region. It's predominantly Canon, but no one holds my choice against me. Reason: either you're capable as a photographer or not...

However, I do think my choice makes them shake their heads and wonder what is possible (if they shot) with another brand... We do have competitions, but the main attraction is the yearly symposium and monthly classes - part of the $35/year membership.

BTW, if you're willing to travel, there will be Pentax specific promotions this year. Otherwise harangue your local camera shop... it's been brought forward to several folks at Pentax. If you guys start asking, things might happen...

Cheers,
Marc
01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
... it's been brought forward to several folks at Pentax. If you guys start asking, things might happen...

Maybe Pentax ought to start a series of traveling workshops like Nikon used to do. It might help with their marketing if they're planning to woo some big-name pros as has been hinted.
01-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are several people in the Tuscon area who offer digital camera workshops but they are not specific make oriented. I'm sure this would be true in the Phoenix area too.

01-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I would also be very interested in a users group or workshop in AZ (Phoenix area). There are several forum members in the Phoenix area. Maybe Mo or Ole would like to consider the possibilities. User groups are great for gaining and sharing knowledge about our preferred brand of camera.

There are some camera clubs in the area but it seems they are mostly interested in photo competition. At least that was my impression when looking at their websites. Probably not a Pentax owner among them but I could be wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by jennaz31 Quote
I am wondering if anyone knows of any workshops in Arizona that are specific to the Pentax camera. I am fairly new to a SLR and have read many books, but I learn best "hands on"

Thanks for any help
Hi guys,

There are several workshops and photo classes available from the Desert Botanical Garden, and also, if you stop my Photomark (the camera store), they should also have some information on upcoming events.

Last fall, I myself took a macro photo class at the DBG, and it was great- see some of the photos here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/14409-200mm-macro-first-attempt.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #9

Patrickt....I don't know about Pentax availability in 2006 in SLC but Inkleys / Ritz carries Pentax now. They actually seem quite high on the K10D. Course they are much more pricey than on line!
01-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jennaz31 Quote

Thanks for any help

Hi there! I am in Chandler AZ and bought my k10d from Ritz Camera at Gilbert Rd/202 ... when you buy a camera there you get free classes .. in addition to the standard Imaging 101-type classes, they just launched a Pentax class this month. (they have it every month I believe). Each Ritz location has classes, but I think they are different at each store.

I went to the Pentax one last Saturday .. it was very helpful, and was geared more toward what each of the buttons and menu options mean. It didnt address WHAT ISO/white balance/etc means .. but HOW to find/adjust them in your camera.

With that being said, I have a LOT to learn ... still working on some of the basics of WHAT each of these things means! If anyone knows of a group in the Phoenix Valley, or would be interested in forming one (formally or informally), let me know!
01-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Show me a NJ or NY including NYC based workshop FOR PENTAXIANS, and I'm there. 'Nuff said!