Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is this Technique Called?

Does it have a name and what is the best way to go about it? The obvious seems to just tilt the camera but is there anything more to it or is it a tilt in post? I'm referring to the way the subject is tilted and coming out of the corner.

photo credit to rob letteiri, from his website.....

03-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I call it "can't hold a camera straight".
03-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the movie biz it is called "Dutch camera".
03-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well if you want to be all simplistic about it wheatfield, though the overdone vignetting is also a big thing in studio photography thee days.

03-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

You can make it look more natural by having the light at the same angle as the person (either by placing them that way or by tilting in post) and I would make the angle quite bold so it is obvious that it is a creative effect and not a squint shot!

It's not my favourite effect though. Similar to SpecialK, I've heard it called a dutch angle or dutch tilt when done in movies.
03-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
someone else will chime in regarding an actual name, but this is a more casual/candid pose to the portrait. The angle of the camera and subject help to accentuate this. The lighting is formal but the subjects are not formally posed and are encouraged to "be themselves". You would need to take many shots to get "the good one" as you will also have less control of the subject.

You could call it the "Batman Technique", after the 1960's TV series, when they showed the bad guys in a tilted (crooked) frame format!

regards,
03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not referring to the actual portrait. i've seen it done with architecture too and sort of like it. better then the typical "hold the camera straight" everyday look.

Last edited by Deiberson; 03-07-2012 at 07:33 AM.
03-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the name. i'll look into it from here.
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
Does it have a name and what is the best way to go about it? The obvious seems to just tilt the camera but is there anything more to it or is it a tilt in post? I'm referring to the way the subject is tilted and coming out of the corner.

photo credit to rob letteiri, from his website.....
Looks like the famous "Tacky Tilt" to me. A true leap forward to the 1950s.
03-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
What is this Technique Called?
Maybe I'm being simple-minded but what's wrong with "composition"?
03-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Maybe I'm being simple-minded but what's wrong with "composition"?
Composition isn't a technique but you're right to say it's compositional technique but we already knew that the OP wants to know which one.

It's the Dutch tilt, Dutch angle, Dutch shot, oblique angle, German angle, canted angle, Batman angle, or jaunty angle , all the same thing.
QuoteQuote:
In non-cinematic static photography a Jaunty angle can add a new variance to otherwise vertical/horizontal framing. Obtuse and acute angles can be added to dull pictures by means of tilting the camera prior to use. This effect can make a picture appear on a slope bringing to it a feeling of creativity and making the whole aesthetic more attractive. The term 'jaunty' was popularised by use with hats being placed at an inclined angle and this term has been adopted in the early 21st century by those using their camera on a similar incline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle
03-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Looks like the famous "Tacky Tilt" to me. A true leap forward to the 1950s.
Dziga Vertov's 1929 experimental documentary Man with a Movie Camera is known to contain one of the first usages of the Dutch angle, among other innovative techniques discovered by Vertov himself.
03-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Dziga Vertov's 1929 experimental documentary Man with a Movie Camera is known to contain one of the first usages of the Dutch angle, among other innovative techniques discovered by Vertov himself.

Ah yes, the vertiginous Vertov whose verticals were off! Nonetheles, my impression is that use of the Tacky Tilt in commercial portrature reached dizzying heights in the 1950s.

John
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wiki comes with the The Third Man that uses the dutch angle quite often in scenes and that one is from 1949.

QuoteQuote:
The atmospheric use of black-and-white expressionist cinematography by Robert Krasker, with harsh lighting and distorted camera angles, is a key feature of The Third Man. Combined with the unique theme music, seedy locations, and acclaimed performances from the cast, the style evokes the atmosphere of an exhausted, cynical post-war Vienna at the start of the Cold War. The film's unusual camera angles, however, were not appreciated by all critics at the time. C. A. Lejeune in The Observer described Reed's "habit of printing his scenes askew, with floors sloping at a diagonal and close-ups deliriously tilted" as "most distracting". American director William Wyler, a close friend of Reed's, sent him a spirit level, with a note saying, "Carol, next time you make a picture, just put it on top of the camera, will you?"