Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunrise/Moonrise, Sunset/Moonset

Perhaps the wrong place in the forum (by all means move it moderators) but here's a great little application for Android, OSX and Mac or Windows Desktop. For those of you who wonder where the sun is coming up or when that full moon will come over the horizon, I highly recommend that you take a look. The Desktop version is free and the OSX version is a few dollars but it is well worth the investment if you happen to want to know just when and where these celestial bodies will be for that foreground you always wanted to catch in the magic hour.
The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot

03-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmmm... Well, I use the Farmer's Almanac, which is wonderfully low-tech & takes about 10 seconds. No user's guide or tutorial needed. www.timeanddate.com gives a rough idea of azimuth if you need it, assuming you can calculate your magnetic variation & are close to one of their selected locations. For those who are travelling a lot & into lots of gadgets I guess this program would be useful. I am not yet rich enough to be shooting moonrises all over the world...
I'm sure it will be of interest to many though.
03-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Perhaps the wrong place in the forum (by all means move it moderators) but here's a great little application for Android, OSX and Mac or Windows Desktop. For those of you who wonder where the sun is coming up or when that full moon will come over the horizon, I highly recommend that you take a look. The Desktop version is free and the OSX version is a few dollars but it is well worth the investment if you happen to want to know just when and where these celestial bodies will be for that foreground you always wanted to catch in the magic hour.
The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot
Looks cool, thanks
03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We got the farmer's Almanac when I was a kid back in the fifties but I could never get the hang of superimposing it on a topographical map :-). As to traveling, I haven't been off this darned little island for over a year.

03-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

iOS App

I wrote an iOS app that calculates Sunrise/Sunset/Solar Noon from where you are or wherever you want (you can alternately pick from a database if you're off-cellular network), and it remembers your last so many locations so you can pick from them again if you want. It's free, and called "Sunrise Sunet!" in the app store. Check it out

-Brett
03-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shemazar Quote
I wrote an iOS app that calculates Sunrise/Sunset/Solar Noon from where you are or wherever you want (you can alternately pick from a database if you're off-cellular network), and it remembers your last so many locations so you can pick from them again if you want. It's free, and called "Sunrise Sunet!" in the app store. Check it out

-Brett
Thanks Brett. I'll have to check it out!
03-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is also a free version of TPE for computers. It uses Adobe Air, so you have to have an internet connection, but it can be useful for planning things in advance as well.