Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks! I couldn't get my head around how this was done with one exposure... now I know it wasn't.

03-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Thanks folks! I couldn't get my head around how this was done with one exposure... now I know it wasn't.
I think it was one exposure.
03-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White shoe light passes through a solid red jersey?

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
This might not be PS (I can see the image now) ... The white boot of Cleverly(?) is over the shirt of DeSilva (?) because that patch of sensor received more light from the white boot which seems to have been relatively static (is he about to jump) compared to the light that was reflected from the moving red shirt.
Bonjour,

OK - I see your point, but I ain't buying it for the moment ... and what about a shrunken mis-formed head?!

A+, J
03-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

OK - I see your point, but I ain't buying it for the moment ... and what about a shrunken mis-formed head?!

A+, J
Weird things happen when people move during an exposure. I have, somewhere, a picture of my aunt with apparently half a blurred head, because she turned her head quickly as the exposure was made. As with a rotating wheel, the parts of her head furthest from the centre of rotation (her neck I suppose) moved quicker so are more blurred, and because I wasn't exactly head on to her part of her head didn't move much in relation to the film (as it was then) during the exposure as did the rest of it.

I expect the player with the 'shrunken head' turned his head away from the camera during the exposure. As all his hair is black, that looks normal at this resolution, but his face has barely recorded at all.

03-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This might not be PS (I can see the image now)

All the 'sharp' players are going one direction. All the others are going the other way. Note though that even the 'sharp' ones aren't very sharp - Carrick (?) and Rooney are the sharpest and they appear to be at the apex of their jumps: at the point where you change direction (from up to down) you are momentarily stationary.

I think a left to right pan with a moderately slow shutter (1/60 perhaps) could get this effect - the movement of the players going right to left would have their blur increased because they are moving the opposite direction to the camera, and those going the same way would have their blur reduced. Note that Cleverly (?) and Ferdinand(?) stilkl have blurred feet even though their torsos are reasonably sharp at this resolution, because their feet move faster.

Whoever it is on the left with a shap-ish foot has a sharp foot presumably because they didn't move it much. The white boot of Cleverly(?) is over the shirt of DeSilva (?) because that patch of sensor received more light from the white boot which seems to have been relatively static (is he about to jump) compared to the light that was reflected from the moving red shirt.
The lack of up/down blur with Rooney/Giggs/Fletcher/Carrick(?) is what puzzles me. They can't ALL be at the apex of their stride/jump at the same time.
03-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The lack of up/down blur with Rooney/Giggs/Fletcher/Carrick(?) is what puzzles me. They can't ALL be at the apex of their stride/jump at the same time.
Only Carrick and Rooney are anywhere near sharp I'd say, and it's perfectly possible they were synchronised enough; they do this sort of thing as a drill every day don't forget.

Also they wouldn't have to be stationary to be this 'sharp' just slow enough - as you approach the apex, and as you leave it, you are moving more slowly.
03-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only Carrick and Rooney are anywhere near sharp I'd say, and it's perfectly possible they were synchronised enough; they do this sort of thing as a drill every day don't forget.

Also they wouldn't have to be stationary to be this 'sharp' just slow enough - as you approach the apex, and as you leave it, you are moving more slowly.
Yeah, but what about their hands/arms? They are moving faster up/down than their heads.

Look at Ferdinand's hands. Even Scholes' right hand has up down blur, and he's only walking.

03-15-2012, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Yeah, but what about their hands/arms? They are moving faster up/down than their heads.

Look at Ferdinand's hands. Even Scholes' right hand has up down blur, and he's only walking.
Well arms are independent of heads, so could of course be moving at a different speed.

The players moving right to left will be allover more blurred because they moved more relative to the sensor, which I speculate was moved left to right as the picture was taken.

Ferdinand's arms moved more than the rest of him, hence they are more blurred. Nothing too unusual or unlikely about that is there?

Scholes was presumably moving his arms to warm those up too, and you do move up and down when walking, especially if you go on your toes to warm up your calves. I'd imagine that, being 86 years old, Scholes pays particular attention to warming up properly
03-15-2012, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #24

Rooney sharpest? that just ain't right
03-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
Giveaway winner!

Sorry if I am stating a piece that was covered... I skimmed this topic.
If the image moves in the same direction as the curtain... while panning, a blur will be noticeable and the same speed subject moving against the travel would seem to be more still. Vertical motion will vary... this is my guess. Oh, and vertical travel shutters will have similar as some old high speed image made famous in the 50s with Speed Graphics.
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The background is blurred so it is definitely a pan. I doubt any major PP took place. Just because a player traveling in the 'sharp' direction has a blurred foot doesn't mean there's been some PP mistake. His foot is on the ground and driving him forward.. that foot is going in the same direction as the blurred players which is why it's blurred. I'll say that it's only a panned shot.
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The background is blurred so it is definitely a pan. I doubt any major PP took place. Just because a player traveling in the 'sharp' direction has a blurred foot doesn't mean there's been some PP mistake. His foot is on the ground and driving him forward.. that foot is going in the same direction as the blurred players which is why it's blurred. I'll say that it's only a panned shot.
Actually, in my opinion the sharp foot is something that makes it really realistic. The foot probably was moving in the same direction and speed...no one would do that in PP
03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Take enough shots, and eventually you get lucky. No one takes one panned shot and thinks, "I've nailed it!". When I'm taking them I'm in hi-speed burst mode mashing the shutter and AF buttons, making the K-5 and SD card work damn hard for it's dinner.
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup ! I would say its a simple slow pan to the right. Because your panning in the opposite direction has the effect of speed up those going in the opposite direction.
03-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #30

Photos: Gallery
This might not be PS (I can see the image now)

All the 'sharp' players are going one direction. All the others are going the other way. Note though that even the 'sharp' ones aren't very sharp - Carrick (?) and Rooney are the sharpest and they appear to be at the apex of their jumps: at the point where you change direction (from up to down) you are momentarily stationary.
I second this