Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nocturnal Photography Lights?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm staying in Australia for awhile and I've had the opportunity to photograph penguins while a research team collects data on them (weighing, etc). Flash is a no-no for these birds so I tried going off the flashlights being used by the team, a fast lens (55mm f1.4 or 31mm f1.8) and cranking up the ISO. The results, as expected, were less than ideal.

I tried doing some searching but I still have no idea what I could be using to improve the lighting conditions without bothering the birds and still getting decent shots.

I'm thinking if I had some sort of lamp (not a flashlight) that was diffused and soft it would do the trick to get decent shots without bothering the birds. They aren't bothered in the least by the flashlights so I assume a diffused lamp (less focused light than a flashlight) would be fine.

Any tips or suggestions?

03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. Sounds trite but I'd ask the scientists what the brightest, whitest light is that they are comfortable with you using rather than a bunch of Pentaxians.
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about one of those multiple bulb LED lights? Never used one but it might be bright enough. I have seen them on ebay that mount on the flash mount.
03-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very cool. Sounds trite but I'd ask the scientists what the brightest, whitest light is that they are comfortable with you using rather than a bunch of Pentaxians.
The limited feedback I got when I asked was that it needed to be a constant light (flash, even dim, is disruptive). I asked about a bright diffused lamp similar in concept to something you'd bring camping to illuminate your camping spot, but more focused to a specific area (maybe covering 10-20 ft). They said that'd be fine.

I found nocturnal constant lights on BH but they're essentially just LED flashlights built for diving.

I'm guessing jatrax's suggestion will be the easiest solution. I might try buying a high output (multiple level select) LED "torch" and using it with something to soften and spread the light.

03-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Have a quick look a fleabay, theres a whole heap of Hotshoe mount LED video lights you can get that supply constant lighting, a lot also have a brightness adjustment, you can also get a "fake" macro ring, ones that dont flash, they are just a ring of LEDS that are on all the time suppling constant light.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

and here just for hotshoe mounting ones

led video light | eBay
03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks!
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

there are a few issues - It started decades ago when people used flash bulbs which is rather nasty on nocturnal animals. The penguin parade at Phillip Is has hundreds and even thousands of people each night so its important that they are not all using flash.
- It's became almost cult status now not to use flash on penguins. Australian rangers are among the world's biggest party poppers and their favourite word is no. (Have 40 years experience with environmental issues in Australia)

To get around your problem there should be some fairy penguins hanging outside their burrows during the day. If all else fails visit the Melbourne zoo penguin display. there use to be some nesting boxes with door hinges around near the seal display. You could look inside, but I think they stuck a building on the location.

About your light setup. The problem is people and any light setup will upset them even when the penguins are OK with it. My policy is don't upset the land manager in this case the rangers.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 03-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

PS - a really serious problem as apposed to the imagined flash issue is the burrows in the sand dunes are easily crushed with adults, eggs or chicks inside. Anyone in the area must remain on the designated walking tracks at all times.
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
It sounds to me like a perfect occastion to try infrared photography.

Birds (and most nocturnal animals) are not sensitive to IR light so if you have an IR camera with some IR "spotlight" you should be able to take some nice photos. On the other hand, you can hope for a ful moon and bright skyes, boost iso and a fast lens.
03-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you could get a cheap hid headlight kit, mount it in a softbox or beauty dish or something and run it off a small 12v gel cell.
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon.com: Opteka RL-12 Digital Macro LED Ring Light for Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony Alpha, Olympus & Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I have one of these, it's pretty nice. The light is diffused, nice for close work as it minimizes shadows but it does dissipate pretty quickly into the distance. It's pretty inexpensive, so maybe worth playing with. If you're pretty close, this is a great solution.
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
It sounds to me like a perfect occastion to try infrared photography.

Birds (and most nocturnal animals) are not sensitive to IR light so if you have an IR camera with some IR "spotlight" you should be able to take some nice photos. On the other hand, you can hope for a ful moon and bright skyes, boost iso and a fast lens.
If you can find a Sunpak 622, this head will allow only IR light to pass through, and you can flash to your heart's content. Sunpak IR Head + Bare Bulb for Auto 622 Pro Camera Flash | eBay

You won't be able to see the light, and you'll need an IR filter for your lens, but it should work fine.