Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Linear Polarizing Filter

How do they differ from standard polarizers?

Why are they so cheap?

03-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A Circular Polarizer is a Linear Polarizer with a second element called a "quarter-wave plate" added. The extra element is needed for some cameras. (not K-x, for example). The extra element basically un-polarizes light.

If a linear polarizer is sufficient for your camera, it is most likely preferable. Less chance of defect, less light tinting possibility.

What ever you get should be multicoated. See lenstip.com for a review of polarizers.
03-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
03-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The extra element is needed for some cameras. (not K-x, for example).
Truly!? It was my understanding that linear polarizers cause problems with the AF system and that the problem is characteristic of all AF SLRs that use the main mirror as a beam splitter.

So, the short answer is that if you restrict your use of a linear polarizer to manual focus, there should be no problem.

Steve

03-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
A Circular Polarizer is a Linear Polarizer with a second element called a "quarter-wave plate" added. The extra element is needed for some cameras. (not K-x, for example). The extra element basically un-polarizes light.

If a linear polarizer is sufficient for your camera, it is most likely preferable. Less chance of defect, less light tinting possibility.
This is also the first I've heard of using linear polarizers on PDAF DSLRs. I understand that we should be immune to the metering issues caused by linear polarizers on some systems, but we're still susceptible to loss of light from cross polarizing. AF may still work if there is sufficient light, but it may interfere to some degree.
03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use linear PL w/ K20D, and I have no metering problems. In another posting I said same and another poster said metering matte card there was a difference depending on the PL filter position. That is not what I get with regular indoor lights! Maybe he was using outdoor lighting--which has a PL'd component.
03-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As I said, you won't have metering issues with a Pentax DSLR and a linear polarizer. Pentax doesn't use any kind of beam splitter for metering, so, no cross polarizing can happen in that context.

03-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This is also the first I've heard of using linear polarizers on PDAF DSLRs. I understand that we should be immune to the metering issues caused by linear polarizers on some systems, but we're still susceptible to loss of light from cross polarizing. AF may still work if there is sufficient light, but it may interfere to some degree.
Tested the metering linear vs circular and the linear give an error of 1 stop between minimum and maximum and this as indeed when metering a matt surface.
The circular holds his metering in those situation.
This was with the K10D and K20D if i remember correctly.

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/why-are-polorising-filters-so-expens...p-0#comm183304

Last edited by Anvh; 03-25-2012 at 04:54 AM.
03-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not quite sure about the complete technical accuracy of new arts response as it is perhaps over simplified, but to make a long story short, it is thenAF and not the metering that is impacted by a linear polarizer, at least this is what people who sell them want you to believe. I have never had an issue with linear polarizes on my Pentax lenses/cameras
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have never had an issue with linear polarizes on my Pentax lenses/cameras
Ditto.
03-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The camera's mirrors used to split the light for AF and exposure metering will act as polarizers themselves. If the incoming light is already polarized as in the case of a linear polarizer, there is a chance, depending on the angle of polarizations, to cancel a significant amount of light and cause the AF system to malfunction due to "low" light. Same for the exposure meter.

A circular polarizer, twist the polarized light coming out of its front linear polarizer so there is light in all angles reaching the mirrors.

If you use manual focus and ignore focus confirmation, you will not notice any difference between the two types other than some exposure variation under specific angles.
03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Same for the exposure meter.
Except that, AFAIK, no Pentax DSLR uses a beam splitter for its exposure metering, so an LPL is only going to affect AF. You do lose some light with any polarizer, which affects exposure, but that's the normal, intended effect. Cross polarizing of light hitting the meter isn't an issue.
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Except that, AFAIK, no Pentax DSLR uses a beam splitter for its exposure metering, so an LPL is only going to affect AF. You do lose some light with any polarizer, which affects exposure, but that's the normal, intended effect. Cross polarizing of light hitting the meter isn't an issue.
My understanding is that the exposure system is behind the focusing screen inside the pentaprism housing and the autofocus system is at the bottom below the mirror.

The main mirror has a semi-transparent window to let light hit a secondary mirror below for the AF system.

Part of the reflected light that reaches the focusing screen is provided by the semi-transparent window. If that window, and the secondary mirror and AF system below, are sensitive to the polarization angle, they will reduce the reflected light and the exposure will be off.