Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, such an interesting subject with some amazing light! Very nice start.

One suggestion, try shooting some of them (88 for instance) in portrait orientation instead of landscape - it'll capture the sparks better I think. The best time to shoot portrait is right after you've just shot a landscape of the same subject. It's amazing how different the shot can be just by turning the camera 90 degrees.

I agree about trying fill flash as has been suggested already. Also, on the furnace and hot stock being removed - it might be more interesting to shoot somewhere half-way between 006 and 018 to see the furnace itself at an angle while still keeping the entire rod in the frame.

03-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
i thought that (well someone mentioned it on here) but i couldnt find a fill flash option on the k-r)
Fill flash isn't really an "option" I think. You sorta have to figure it out based on distance (or trial and error!). You basically let the flash activate on manual mode, and you expose for the brighter part (the rods). The flash will help light the darker and closer parts (the machinery).
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Fill flash isn't really an "option" I think. You sorta have to figure it out based on distance (or trial and error!). You basically let the flash activate on manual mode, and you expose for the brighter part (the rods). The flash will help light the darker and closer parts (the machinery).
Yup, and as I recall you have from -2.0 to +1.0 control over the intensity of the pop-up flash on the K-r so you can play around with the amount of fill light from the flash too.
03-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

+1 Jocksman
You are doing something new and showing us on the way.

03-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thamks for your comments guys i was thinking of maybe getting above the furnace on an overhead platform from there you can see alot more and oerphaps i might not get the full glow fromt the furnace which may be a bit easier to expose. ill try it and see how it turns out. no harm in trying i will see if i can get some more pics tongiht using the fill flash and in different locations. also which metering mode would you guys think would be best? based on the exif info on the photos what aperture, shutter speed? i was thinking of using manual mide but you cant use bracketing on manual mode.
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
thamks for your comments guys i was thinking of maybe getting above the furnace on an overhead platform from there you can see alot more and oerphaps i might not get the full glow fromt the furnace which may be a bit easier to expose. ill try it and see how it turns out. no harm in trying i will see if i can get some more pics tongiht using the fill flash and in different locations. also which metering mode would you guys think would be best? based on the exif info on the photos what aperture, shutter speed? i was thinking of using manual mide but you cant use bracketing on manual mode.
I'd meter on the metal or the glow and use fill flash with 1/2 of your shots and play with the intensity of the fill flash. I'd use Aperture priority for the spark shots so you can freeze their flight. What software do you use to process the images?
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd meter on the metal or the glow and use fill flash with 1/2 of your shots and play with the intensity of the fill flash. I'd use Aperture priority for the spark shots so you can freeze their flight. What software do you use to process the images?
Spot metering? I used Photoshop cs5 but I shot all in raw and tweaked the levels fill light, blacks and temperature

03-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #38

Original Poster
Looking forward to posting the pics of tonight's session up got it about right I think
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #39

Original Poster
right guys thanks for all your help here are the latest photos let me no what you think still not the best but getting there i think

ground level with fill flash

above view of the furnaces

right the next two i couldnt decide on the first one is unedited and i like the moody feel of it. the second has been edidted in adobe camera raw but ONLY the fill light and blacks sliders.1)

2) fill light and blacks slider adjustment only

love this one

03-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #40

Original Poster
What you guys think
04-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning Flying....

I think that the images are great and have a lot more potential that can be worked. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded one of your images (jpg) and played around with it for a couple of minutes. Here is what I came up with. There is a lot more detail there to be worked, especially when you start out with RAW. I used a package called Oloneo PhotoEngine (there is a full capable 30 day trial available). I might have pushed it a bit too much (you can see the noise especially back in the shadows, however if you start out with the RAW original, I am thinking that this would be alright.

Attached Images

04-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Your latest ones are quite a lot better in terms of showing detail - you might want to invest in a good flash to do fill flash as it looks like your flash just can't reach.

If the machinery doesn't move for an extended period of time, maybe a bracketed HDR would work very well.
04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #43

Original Poster
The machinery does move it takes about 30 seconds for bar to go out of furnace and door closing. Interested observer... That does look good but the furnace looks to dull yellow it should be bright ill play around with the raw settings in cs5 see how they turn out
04-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I think Bryan Peterson did a shot with this type of lighting in his "Understanding Exposure" book. Might be worth looking at. Or I can look at it when I get home and tell you what he said.
04-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #45

I used to work at a steel mill and spent much of my spare time watching the spectacle of hot steel! Great photos.

Only thing I know that kills a sensor is Laser light.

I hate to kill the photos, but have you got permission to take photos at work? Most companies I know are very camera shy. Just spent today at Sishen mine (biggest open cast iron ore mine, I think). No cameras allowed....