Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
furnace

hey guys,
so last night i was at work (metal working factory) and i was walking past a furnace with a big manipulator taking a red hot bar out of the furnace and i thought wow that would be a real good photo. but i thought what would be the best way to shoot so the manipulator (basically a big fork truck) with the glow of the furnace and the bar? anybody shot anything like this? i will be taking the camera to work later to try it out

03-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it could be good for some amazing photos. I have this vauge recollection of a YouTube video where someone like Bryan Peterson did take pics of something like that, but I can't recall anything more specific. Might be worth a go searching through their vids to see if you can find it as he's usually very good about explaining.
03-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something on the order of these?
03-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes pretty much the same colours bright yellows and oranges I'm basically trying to capture the scale of the furnace,machinery, and the power of the heat I will get a photo later if I can and post it on here and you guys can give me feedback on what I should've done differently as its my first time it won't be perfect

03-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some top-of-my-head suggestions, based on shooting flames and campfires:

* Bracket bracket bracket. You can't go wrong when bracketing tricky exposures.
* Fear not to fill-flash. The molten glow can easily swamp-out shadow details.
* An UWA may be needed to capture the context, but don't get too close!
* Figure that you may need several sessions to get things just right.
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks mate I was hoping to get some pics tonight but the furnace is not in use at the moment Dammit lol
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to frame your shots with your lenses without worrying about the heat or the glow. Dry run it without the furnace working - that'll make it more likely that you'll get the best shots when its on. I am looking forward to the results.

03-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Do you guys think that the light from a furnace would damage the lens or cameras sensor?
03-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
Do you guys think that the light from a furnace would damage the lens or cameras sensor?
The light should not, the heat is another issue. Better safe than sorry with the heat.
03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeh I'll be standing probably 50-100 meters away coz I knew the heat would be a problem I may even get above it if I can on an overhead platform and shoot at an angle which may be interesting
03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Molten light won't be a problem. Heat won't be critical if the gear isn't exposed too long, too close. Let's see, if I had plenty of time to prepare for a blast-furnace shoot, I'd probably take a couple steps:
  1. Preview the scene when it's cold, to locate good shooting angles.
  2. Preview the scene (without camera) when it's hot, with a thermometer. At possible shooting positions, see how long it takes a camera-size object to approach the camera's thermal limit. My K20D's manual says it's 40C. You could probably go 5-10C hotter for brief periods.
  3. Shooting in a hot|hazardous environment, I'd have my time and actions planned and rehearsed. I'd plot where I was going, how long I'd be there, how to get to safety, and where to go to cool off between sets. I might want a helper alongside, if only to drag me to safety.
Maybe I'm overly paranoid about the hazards. But even paranoiacs fock-up. I didn't live this long by being too careless. If you're sure your shooting will be safe, great. But it's good to have a plan anyway. Good luck!
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just shoot it! Then review the pictures and then go back and shoot again!

Since the metal being red hot will glow quite a bit more than the surroundings in artificial light, you can always expose the surroundings darker to get a grittier look.
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
dont worry its not a blast furnace anyway its just a really big box furnace the area is cordened off anyway the temperature at 100 metres is between 30-40 degrees depending on the heat outside but there are big extraction systems in place anyway to get most of the heat to go upwards! i know the escape routes etc as it is a bit of machinery that i work on (im a engineer) so i know it in and out.
as for shooting: aperture priority would probably be best wouldnt it?
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
dont worry its not a blast furnace anyway its just a really big box furnace the area is cordened off anyway the temperature at 100 metres is between 30-40 degrees depending on the heat outside but there are big extraction systems in place anyway to get most of the heat to go upwards! i know the escape routes etc as it is a bit of machinery that i work on (im a engineer) so i know it in and out.
as for shooting: aperture priority would probably be best wouldnt it?
Depends on how you are metering, but you can do Av and meter the glowing metal to not be too overexposed.
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #15

Original Poster
cool ill have to have a play around with the settings i think trouble is theres probably about a 30 second window from the door opening-metal coming out and door closing