Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would you believe that portrait was salvaged from this image?

01-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A genius with a GIMP!
01-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The good camera deals are out there to be had. I thought that $10 for a Canonet 28 + flash was a good deal, but $3 for a seemingly trashed MF that still works blows my mind! Actually, I've got a roll of Kodak BW400cn waiting for me to load into the Canonet.

I haven't done much shooting this week due to time constraints and less than great weather. Maybe this weekend...

Besides the great value that Pentax is, I'm used to standing out in a crowd, so I'm not self-conscious at all about being the only one with the Pentax. As a matter of fact, I'm not ashamed to tell anybody who wants to hear about it why I think Pentax is so great.
As a matter of fact, I did take a couple of photography classes in the fall and while the instructor shoots with C & N, he didn't hesitate to recommend Pentax to anybody who asked him for a DSLR recommendation. As a matter of fact, that's what made me take a look at Pentax in the first place.

Heather
02-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow I feel like a jerk for not being able to reply to the thread that I started. Sucky business but my computer died on my soon after I posted up the thread =[ but yes i"m alive and I am back!

Oh oh, I love sticking out in the crowd. And the fact I'm the only pentax user out of 99 other students, well it definitely does not bother me what so ever.

Mike - those pictures- amazing that they came out of that camera. It is quite astonishing!

And to answer your question frogroast, though I'm quite late, the reason both TA divded the class by brand was because most of the people in the class own dSLR to begin with and she wanted those who wasn't familiar with photography to go over the basic settings and so people who shared the same brand/camera would be able to help each other.

But hilarious comparison. That had me rolling on the floor for quite some time.

And thank you all the encouraging words, I know I have my fellow pentaxers (is that even a word) to back me up ha! Can't wait to show them what my K10D is made of.

02-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
Hi!

First time poster here, long time lurker... I probably would of continued to lurk and not post if it had not been for today's incident that I find way too funny and had to be shared.

I'm currently waitlisted/enrolled in a intro to photography class at school and today we were going over the basic stuff about the camera- all its parts and function. Because it's a beginning class, there are some people who don't really know much about cameras and the TA wanted to pair everyone by camera brand- of course she said ask who had a Canon, half the class raised their hand, a Nikon the other half raised their hand... and then she ask if anyone else anything different, then so on, with other people being paired up. However, I proceeded to raise my hand and stating I had a Pentax. So she ask if anyone else had a Pentax.. SILENCE =/ So alone in the corner [well not really, but sort of] I sat with my K10D.

The story gets funnier, because I go the other section for the same class and the TA divided the class between Nikon and Canon... again. And where did I stand? Once again alone. haha.

Okay... time for me to lurk. Sorry if my story was ridiculous...
How do you think I felt when I dropped Canon for Pentax sponsorship. The violence flung in my direction was massive to say the least.

Just concentrate on the craft and NOT the gear.

Ben
02-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, I was walking in the city today. A few teenagers were kind of yelling to me

"That canon is crap but this pentax is good", a tall kid points to my cameras as if he was going to snatch the cam even though k10d is not worth anything anymore.

Kind of interesting, heh?
02-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

Besides the great value that Pentax is, I'm used to standing out in a crowd, so I'm not self-conscious at all about being the only one with the Pentax.
If you ever really want to stand out....be the only one with a TLR, folder, or a box brownie.

People who see me with a TLR sometimes assume I'm doing land surveying. People who see me with a brownie have not the slightest idea what I'm doing. Neither one even gets recognized as a camera by 99% of folks.

02-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, I was walking in the city today. A few teenagers were kind of yelling to me

"That canon is crap but this pentax is good", a tall kid points to my cameras as if he was going to snatch the cam even though k10d is not worth anything anymore.

Kind of interesting, heh?
Can't blame the poor sucker for wanting the k10d. haha even though its not worth anything anymore with the k20d.. he still knows how awesome it is. haha.
02-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If you ever really want to stand out....be the only one with a TLR, folder, or a box brownie.

People who see me with a TLR sometimes assume I'm doing land surveying. People who see me with a brownie have not the slightest idea what I'm doing. Neither one even gets recognized as a camera by 99% of folks.
If the lens is big or the camera is bulky, you will become professional and get treated seriously in the streets. Really disgusting concept but that is how people rated a person as a photographer.

Seriously I have seen freelance photographers at different events keeping their eyes on the Fa limited - tiny and small. They are kind of jealous to a degree. (Not the over-zealous gear heads in the fora who usually do not take photos)
02-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

But there are times when we don't want to appear professional or get treated seriously on the street. Times when we want to take great photos but just blend into the crowd like your average Joe Snapshot. I found the coolest little camera for that about a week or so ago and after just one roll of film through it love it so much that I just bought a second one this evening.

The first one was a 1971 Konica C35 E&L (C35V outside Japan). Zone focus with a very nice 38/2.8 lens and totally automated exposure, and small enough to slip into my front pants pocket comfortably. The second one is an upcale "Flashmatic" edition of the same camera. Same lens, but with a rangefinder focus system, self-timer, bulb setting, and improved flash compatibility. The first cost under $10 and I splurged on the second, picking it up for just under $40. Probably a tad over market value, but I figure averaged over the two I made out alright.

Check out some images from the first roll or the Konica C35 Pool on Flickr to see what this little just-over-palm-sized gem can do.
02-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
One would think this thread would sort of die.. and Canon/Nikon would leave Pentax alone...
Nope!
Not the case.

I was at a show last night, shooting for fun, something I like to do and there's this other guy (canon user) who was shooting for my friends... every time he walked by me he laughed... mind you I thought I was seeing things at first, but nope. Every time he came around me, he would look at my Pentax and start laughing. Even my younger sister notice this. After a while, it just got really annoying to the point where I was ready to say something. I just don't get why people find it necessary to mock other people- that's how I took it. I was just peeved the rest of the night. It's because of people like that I'm even more glad I don't own a Canon/Nikon dSLR. The purpose of this rant was not to bash on Canon/Nikon users, but rather because ya'll people who understand my love for Pentax and it brings me comfort. And I like comfort.

Why are people so cruel? =/
02-19-2008, 04:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
Why are people so cruel? =/
Many are just insecure...anyone who does something differently isn't validating them and their choices in life. That gets them defensive. (Oops, did I just write something that hits close to home for a few of my fellow Pentaxians on this forum? So sorry...)

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." – Frank Zappa
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Cindy,
Do not be to worried about what some other phogs think of your equipment. In 20 years + of free lance shooting I have had only one client ask what kind of camera I was using. When I told them I used medium format for weddings (pentax 645) they were happy. The only people that seem to care are the photoweenies and wanabe pros that want to know. I have made most of my living with Pentax cameras and the clients don't care what you use, just the final product is all they care about. Keep on truckin!
02-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally agree with christinelandon and kent vinyard. You generally get that from Wannabe's. The best thing is to ignore it and enjoy your camera. If you like your gear and enjoy the shots you take, then that's all that counts. Unfortunately there are arrogant Aholes in all fields of endevour.

I often sailboat race and one year was sitting in the pre race skippers meeting. Everyone there was wearing Gill foul weather gear (about $1000 a suit). Not having deep pockets I had a plan-Jane $100 suit on. Everyone acted like the Canon jerk. When our boat won 3 of 5 races (and the week long series on points), I said nothing but turned down the invitation to the after race party and had a few "pops" with the real racers.

I'd certainly speak to your friends though. Pass on your thoughts about who they had shooting for them.
02-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Sometimes it's just nice to go against the crowd — be your own person — not cave in to the "I gotta have brand x because people have preconceived notions about certain brand names. It's the person behind the camera that counts — and obviously the one holding the Canon was a jerk.

One just can't let rude, crude and socially unattractive people bother them.

Last edited by squarerigger; 02-19-2008 at 11:52 AM.