Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

All alone with my K10D

Hi!

First time poster here, long time lurker... I probably would of continued to lurk and not post if it had not been for today's incident that I find way too funny and had to be shared.

I'm currently waitlisted/enrolled in a intro to photography class at school and today we were going over the basic stuff about the camera- all its parts and function. Because it's a beginning class, there are some people who don't really know much about cameras and the TA wanted to pair everyone by camera brand- of course she said ask who had a Canon, half the class raised their hand, a Nikon the other half raised their hand... and then she ask if anyone else anything different, then so on, with other people being paired up. However, I proceeded to raise my hand and stating I had a Pentax. So she ask if anyone else had a Pentax.. SILENCE =/ So alone in the corner [well not really, but sort of] I sat with my K10D.

The story gets funnier, because I go the other section for the same class and the TA divided the class between Nikon and Canon... again. And where did I stand? Once again alone. haha.

Okay... time for me to lurk. Sorry if my story was ridiculous...

Last edited by cindaaalynnn; 01-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.
01-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #2

Welcome

and You are as alone as Ferrari owner in driving school :-)
Enjoy Your gear and get most out of it!
Best and happy shooting, JR
01-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #3

I would strongly suggest a disposition of detached smugness, knowing that you have a much higher camera to cost ratio than the Nikon/Canon users on your course.
01-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So you are away from the crowd.
You've made yourself to differentiate from the pack, an independent sole.

Good for you, keep up that mentality, you'll have no problems to be succesful.

- Bert

01-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...and the teacher didn't suggest you change to the advanced course? For shame on her...!

welcome!
01-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I took a basic photo course a few years back. It was for B&W film - little emphasis was placed on taking pictures, but most of the learning was around developing and processing film. Anyway, the snotty Canon and Nikon owners couldn't tell an f-stop from a bus stop! I proudly used my humble little Pentax ME Super and achieved good results.

I certainly do not look at the Nikon and Canon owners with any degree of envy or spite. I have no problem with either brand of camera, it is simply the smug attitude that (sometimes) seems to accompany the ownership of Nikon and Canon.

It isn't the camera that takes good pictures, it is the 'Pentaxian' holding it.

Last edited by J.Scott; 01-12-2008 at 03:36 AM.
01-12-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Always remember the camera is a tool and all it does is take pictures. It doesn't matter which brand you use it's the eye behind the lens that make the difference. Be proud of your equipment and your talent. Remember Nikon and Canon don't take better pictures. This is a Job/hobby that has an I in it. There is no team Canon or Nikon (unless you work for the company) There is only I, me and you. Take pride in your talent and strive to always do better. Advance your eye, and creativity. Your Pentax will always be your choice. Just go into the class and WOW them with your talent and if you need to attribute it to the camera then shout Pentax in their faces and see how many of your class mates want to switch brands at the end of the class.

Congrats on taking up the sword and quit lurking and lets see what you produce. Post some shots and lets see what you can do. Remember we here on the forum will always be your best critics and good friends.

01-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jeff and David are right on the money. You really ought not let it concern you in the slightest.

About a week ago I walked into the combination photo studio and camera store operated by my local pro (Nikon dealer). There are usually a couple of folks seated at the counter having a cup of coffee with the owner, usually with some very expensive cameras also on the counter.

That day was no exception. I noticed one guy had a Nikon and the other had brought a Canon. Both were huge, with battery grips attached and sporting what looked to be some very expensive lenses. I'm guessing that these two put their money into top-of-the-line equipment.

They jumped up and ran over like schoolgirls doing the pee-pee dance when they saw what I was carrying:

As if they weren't surprised enough at seeing such a refugee from the trash heap.....imagine how much more surprised they were when I opened it up, fished out a roll of film, and handed it over to be developed.

I informed them that it cost about three dollars, requires a squirt of lighter fluid into the shutter mechanism before I take it out to shoot, and that as beat up and battered as it is....it still takes photos of a most stunning quality.

I gave them a sort of philosophical point to ponder by telling them, "Look...this thing is such a piece of junk that I don't expect it to take good pictures, so when I do get something good out of it, my joy is just all that much greater."

The owner told one guy who is in the same camera club with him that I'll be joining the club at the next meeting (February). His reaction? "Oh, sh*t." I guess he thought that it must be either my only or my regular camera. He said it in a very "There goes the neighborhood" way.

So take your Pentax along and take full advantage of the leverage the smug crowd's low expectations provides you. You know it can take great photos. And I know it can take great photos. They, on the other hand, are about to find out.

What sort of results does the bare-metal, beaten, battered, half-century old, three dollar scrapheap refugee turn in? Let's just say I wouldn't be in the least ashamed to use this camera in a photography class.

And please do permanently delurk yourself and join in the general uproar. Post some photos, too. We'd all be glad to see them.
01-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yo Mike, rock on dude !! lol, I like your attitude !!! And to the OP, please show up the Canikon crowd, and make em green with Pentax envy
01-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
cindaaalynnn, kudos to you for being different! As others have suggested, revel in it.

On the other hand - I would have questioned the TA about dividing the class up by brand and what educational benefit is there to that. Are students there to learn about brand features or about photography? How does he/she know that these students are using their own cameras or borrowing one for the class before buying their own?

Now, if you said the class was divided as to whether people had SLRs or Point and shoots, digital or film, them perhaps. But by brand?

"OK, those wearing Fruit of the Loom to the left, Hanes to the right. Other brands over here. Those of you going commando, to the back of the class."

Mike - sweet find, beautiful images, and all for $3 in equipment and pennies on lighter fluid!
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great post Mike, and it's how I feel about it too. Yes, having nice equipment is wonderful and makes some things easier or reduces the missed opps factor for certain kinds of photography, but the mind and eye decides so much!

Cindy, don't feel out of sorts - I teach classes, and I am one of the few people in my area that shoots with Pentax. Almost every one is a mix of Canon and Nikon, and almost nothing else.

Cheers,
Marc
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks, guys. In an era when all cameras run on batteries, it is sort of sweet having one that runs on naptha.
01-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #13

Hey as a fellow new to SLR, chose the Pentax path user, good on you.

I just noticed Henry's no longer has Pentax user lessons on their "school of imaging" web site.
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

*ROTFL* This thread has made my day! I want one of those $3 bangers!!! BTW...I still sometimes shoot with my 35 year old Minolta. The results are outstanding:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
QSS-29_31  Photo     
01-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is a riot!! The TA seems to taking an odd approach but I hope you get a lot from the class. It's great you're doing what you can to advance you skills.

Mike that $3 trash bin camera is great. The portrait is excellent and would be very difficult to reproduce on a digital. There's a warmth and softness that is fantastic. Well captured also.