Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Warranty Issues

I mentioned in another thread that I had to send my K10D back to have the dreaded misaligned viewfinder issue resolved. Although the repair is covered by warranty has anyone had success in getting Pentax (Canada) to pay for the shipping? It cost a whopping $50.10 to send it by insured Puralator to Mississauga. I am not planning to ask them until the camera has been repaired and returned.

01-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered using Canada Post instead? It should be around $20 insured.
01-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Have you considered using Canada Post instead? It should be around $20 insured.
Nope. Too late - I sent it out with Purolator yesterday. It was $20 to ship + $22 for $800 insurance + $5 something for fuel surcharge + Tax. I have used Canada Post before and although it costs less they take their sweet a$$ time about getting packages from here to where ever. Days turn into weeks and my blood pressure starts to rise.

Has anyone gotten Pentax to pay for shipping on a warranty item?
01-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Nope. Too late - I sent it out with Purolator yesterday. It was $20 to ship + $22 for $800 insurance + $5 something for fuel surcharge + Tax. I have used Canada Post before and although it costs less they take their sweet a$$ time about getting packages from here to where ever. Days turn into weeks and my blood pressure starts to rise.

Has anyone gotten Pentax to pay for shipping on a warranty item?
Nope, never.

When i was working for the survey company, i used the company curiour and it would only be $12 over night. The sent back my daughters istD and my FA 70-200 i had in for repair and i had to pay 11.00 +-.

Any Nikon repairs, i take the camera to them myself.

Dave

01-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one still in for repair (been about 4 weeks now) - I brought it back to where I bought it (McBain Camera) and they took care of all the shipping (I assume ??) has not cost me a cent yet - however as mentioned I have not got it back yet so it remains to be seen if I will dinged with any shipping and or tax charges.
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have used Canada Post before and although it costs less they take their sweet a$$ time about getting packages from here to where ever. Days turn into weeks and my blood pressure starts to rise.
I just sent 1 of my clocks to Vancouver, in an unusual shaped box. And it only took 3 days.
It usually takes longer than that for any courier company to deliver things back and forth around here, at a much larger expense.
01-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do find that Canada Post's Express post is quite reliable and usually 2-3 days.

Dave

01-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok - I surrender! You guys win! Next time I will use Canada Post.
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Forum Member

Yes yes! Use Canada post. I sent my K10 on the 4th, from Victoria, and it is out for delivery today in Mississauga. Cost me $18 with $700 insurance. My bottom plate developed that chipping problem and also I believe my viewfinder is misaligned too.

But Canada Post did "lose" my DA 50-200 when I sent it for repair in July.... and I sent it from Waterloo - just 100km away. The tracking information never showed it being delivered, and one of the service reps had no information about it in their system, so I went through a claim with Canada Post, and the day that I received my insurance compensation is the day I got my repaired lens from pentax.

I did return the cheque.
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not for me. I use Greyhound.

Lil Laker - it's 22 hours from Sparwood bus depot to West 2nd Avenue, door to door.
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So lets pretend I shipped the defective camera to Pentax Canada by Canada Post (or horse and buggy, for that matter ), has anyone ever received financial compensation from Pentax for said shipping? Is that a clear and resounding "NO!"

That was the important part of my thread.
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loafer Quote
But Canada Post did "lose" my DA 50-200 when I sent it for repair in July.... and I sent it from Waterloo - just 100km away. The tracking information never showed it being delivered, and one of the service reps had no information about it in their system, so I went through a claim with Canada Post, and the day that I received my insurance compensation is the day I got my repaired lens from pentax.

I did return the cheque.
You are an honourable person and I commend your honesty. Not everyone would do that.