Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Pulled The Trigger...

That's right, I fired up the ole' master card and ordered my new K10D, vertical grip, 2 lenses, and a memory card (more to follow). After I get the lenses I will look into some filters, more memory and a few extra batteries.

This is a brave new Pentax world for me. Please share some of your thoughts about this great brand, and of course, the K10D.

01-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep the master card handy, two lenses aren't enough, lol.
Congrats, you will love the K10D, a fantastic camera, but it carries the LBA virus. You can shoot just about any lens Pentax has ever made with it and you will want a copy of each. Do NOT do a search on Ebay with these words "To fit Pentax" and do NOT even look in the Marketplace.
But of course you will:-).
We're looking forward to seeing your pictures and feel free to ask questions.
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Which lenses did you get?
01-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Congrats, you will love the K10D, a fantastic camera, but it carries the LBA virus. You can shoot just about any lens Pentax has ever made with it and you will want a copy of each. Do NOT do a search on Ebay with these words "To fit Pentax" and do NOT even look in the Marketplace.
This is so funny because it is so true...The difference being is I would tell you to cut up the ole mastercard and do not get another one...

On a serious note, You have purchased a great camera and we look forward to seeing your pics...Welcome !

01-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Which lenses did you get?

Nothing too special yet. I had to do this on a budget, so I got the kit lens 18-55mm, the only reason I didn't buy the camera with the kit lens is because there was a $190 difference. And, with the $100 rebate I will get with the body, that makes the price difference a whopping $290! So I figured I would just pick it up on amazon for $69.95 and save myself a bundle.

The other lens is the 28-300 F3.5-5.6 IF HSM from Sigma. I also want to get the Sigma 1.4x tele-converter, and eventually the Sigma 135-400mm EX.

I have also been looking at the Pentax pancake lenses, which I am actively lusting after. I love prime lenses, and those are the coolest primes I have ever seen.
01-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new camera gear almo,

If I was you I'd buy another memory card, even if it's just a small one. It's always nice to have a backup.
Don't buy it on-line, unless your sure that it's from an honest retailer. There are several very poor quality counterfeits out there.

Plus I'll tell you right now that I really doubt you'll find a new Sigma 135-400 new.
I got the last one available new in Canada, almost a year ago. And as far as I know Sigma had stopped making them in Pentax mount.

If you can find one used they're great lenses, although mine is going into get calibrated soon.
01-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you like primes, you've definitely come to the right place. Nobody beats Pentax for the availability of fantastic primes, both new and used. Oh, and if you want to stay out of debt, I definitely second the suggestion NOT to look in the marketplace!

Unless I have something for sale, of course...

01-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is so funny because it is so true...The difference being is I would tell you to cut up the ole mastercard and do not get another one...

On a serious note, You have purchased a great camera and we look forward to seeing your pics...Welcome !
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
If you like primes, you've definitely come to the right place. Nobody beats Pentax for the availability of fantastic primes, both new and used. Oh, and if you want to stay out of debt, I definitely second the suggestion NOT to look in the marketplace!

Unless I have something for sale, of course...

It has begun...

I just put in a bid on my favorite lens I have ever, ever owned. The SMC 50mm f/2. It was the first and last Pentax lens I ever owned, and probably the best. I hope I win it!
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
That's right, I fired up the ole' master card and ordered my new K10D, vertical grip, 2 lenses, and a memory card (more to follow). After I get the lenses I will look into some filters, more memory and a few extra batteries.

This is a brave new Pentax world for me. Please share some of your thoughts about this great brand, and of course, the K10D.

I just got my first DSLR but unlike you I'm a total novice. I got a couple of lenses and now I need an extra battery and an SD card just to be safe. I like those primes myself but for now I'll stick with my 50mm.