Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need Some Pointers on Filters for Landscapes

After shooting for a couple of years, I finally bought my first tripod, a Vanguard Alta Pro. I used to just use a monopod as all my photography involves many miles of high country hiking. I didn't want the weight of a tripod, but now have changed my mind.

Since I am now using a tripod, I want to start using filters to get the most out of my landscapes. I know I want to use a Cokin P Filter holder, but have no real ideas on the filters themselves.

I'd like to start with cheaper filters for now. I know I want a gradual ND filter (but not what strength), as well as some polarizers etc..

So, what are the "must have" filters I should buy for landscape photography?

04-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I use the Cokin P .3 .6 and .9 ND Grad Filters - they're "ok" but don't you dare point them straight at the sun unless you like buggering your photos lol.

I believe its this one : Amazon.com: Cokin Neutral Density Graduated FH-121L-121M-121S Filter Kit - H250 With LensPen Klear Pen: Camera & Photo (minus the lens pen)

Also, a circular polarizer is great for saturating colours, darkening skies and seeing through reflections on streams.

- Andrew
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Graduated filters are very useful for balancing lighting in a landscape scene, and great if you want to avoid HDR treatment of your exposures later. The stronger, the more obvious the effect between sky and foreground. Be sure to have the transition between clear and filtered scenery aligned with your horizon to avoid unbalanced effects.
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm unsure about square filters. I own the Lee kit with 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 Lee GND filters. Not exactly a cheap investment. First (and only) time I used the kit I took some seascapes and due to my inexperience, I ended up ruining almost all the photos as I had the sun in frame which caused horrible flare. So even the expensive square filters can't cope with the sun, obvious in hindsight but then I thought I was getting something from Lee by spending the extra.

If you buy only 1 GND I'd suggest a 0.6. Keep the sun out of frame. With a cheap GND be prepared to deal with some colour issues in PP.

04-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use filters much less with digital than with film. I use a PL to remove problematic reflections, but not to increase color saturation, which can be effectively accomplished in post production. I use exposure blending more than graduated NDs, but some images have too much movement for that technique. I do use all over NDs [2 or 3-stops are useful at iso80] for slowing shutter speed to blur water movement.
04-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
My must have filters for landscape work are a CPL (circular polarizer), solid ND (.3, .6 and .9) and grad ND (.3 and .6), they are all Cokin P and if you keep them clean you can use them with the sun in the frame, as for example in this image:

It's certainly not my best landscape photo, and you can even see the tripod foot at the bottom of the frame, but it was the first I found with the sun in the frame that I was sure I used a grad ND on and I was too lazy to crop or clone out the foot before uploading. This is, after all, just to show that you can use Cokin P filters pointing at the sun.
I also do a lot of exposure blending as sometimes I need a reverse grad ND (which I don't have) or when there are objects like trees or mountains that just won't work even with soft transition grad ND filters.

Last edited by jase036; 04-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.
04-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
Even if I had just two camera bodies and only two lens' total; I could fill up a gadget bag with both circular and square filters.

Which is probably one of my most major issues in photography. I'll set up and almost anchor my tripod and just shoot away with every type of variation.

BTW saw an on-location Hollywood crew recently; eventhey use Lee's on quite the regular basis